Unusual Wildlife Pictures

Saw these fellas yesterday on my way to the city.

Mule deer are not rare in these parts, but that much velvet sure gets me excited for the season to come!

View attachment 290831View attachment 290832
I got drawn for antlerless mule deer where I live, here's hoping I can fill the freezer extra full!

i don't know where in Saskatchewan you're at but I know when I was a kid there were absolutely no mule deer this far north in the province but for almost a decade now there's been a steady population of them…conveniently close to my dad's house on the farm!

I got drawn for antlerless mule deer where I live, here's hoping I can fill the freezer extra full!

i don't know where in Saskatchewan you're at but I know when I was a kid there were absolutely no mule deer this far north in the province but for almost a decade now there's been a steady population of them…conveniently close to my dad's house on the farm!
Good for you, Calvin! Last year I got drawn for both antlered AND antlerless. Had a blast chasing mulies around and filling the freezer.

Between that and the elk tag it sounds like you have your work cut out for you this year. Good luck and happy hunting! PM incoming!

Not the greatest photo, but I couldn't get the video to upload. For as long as I have lived in California I have never seen any in the wild, and apparently they discovered a whole new species of them near Folsom state penitentiary not far from where I grew up (appropriately named after Johnny Cash). Then last month I saw two in as many weeks hundreds of miles apart. My neighbor says they crawl on his house during mating season which doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. This one was about 4-5" in diameter, big enough for me to spot it about 40 feet away while calling coyotes.

GeCpX-OVY_2SJ9pJKPKBbWVBghNxeQmwKEDd1YvAIZFNPJA9KAd3uBDX8u9S6yMlvYcJDTFc3xa1ziX-CAHAg3IHFiGCe3YyJABlPB2S691-OaxF6rJg2Bi9k2-zI_MGieRp9EngBQ=w850

Not the greatest photo, but I couldn't get the video to upload. For as long as I have lived in California I have never seen any in the wild, and apparently they discovered a whole new species of them near Folsom state penitentiary not far from where I grew up (appropriately named after Johnny Cash). Then last month I saw two in as many weeks hundreds of miles apart. My neighbor says they crawl on his house during mating season which doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. This one was about 4-5" in diameter, big enough for me to spot it about 40 feet away while calling coyotes.

GeCpX-OVY_2SJ9pJKPKBbWVBghNxeQmwKEDd1YvAIZFNPJA9KAd3uBDX8u9S6yMlvYcJDTFc3xa1ziX-CAHAg3IHFiGCe3YyJABlPB2S691-OaxF6rJg2Bi9k2-zI_MGieRp9EngBQ=w850
And this is one of many reasons I love Saskatchewan and don't plan on leaving, and am determined to never complain about how freaking cold we get from November to February: it's too hostile a climate for things like THAT to make it up here. We have some garter snakes and some rattlers in the south of the province though even they aren't really up as far North as I live, and of course we have "normal" spiders (which I am distinctly UN-fond of as well, as in kill it with fire!!!!). You southerners just keep those things down there and the heck away from me!!!! 🤣. I've been surprised by a black bear showing up VERY close to me before, I've felt my hair stand on end when I finally figured out the weird tracks in the snow I was looking at couldn't be anything other than a cougar, etc…the presence of these actually dangerous animals doesn't do anything at all to my heart rate, blood pressure, mental state etc compared to seeing a big spider. Whatever about reptiles; I mean I don't want them around but they don't trigger any automatic panic in me. Big spiders do; it's 100 percent irrational and knowing it's irrational doesn't make it go away. Saw that picture and no joke just automatically my fists and jaw clenched!

Cool picture though, thanks for sharing nonetheless. Looks like something a coyote rifle would be just the ticket for taking care of!

And this is one of many reasons I love Saskatchewan and don't plan on leaving, and am determined to never complain about how freaking cold we get from November to February: it's too hostile a climate for things like THAT to make it up here. We have some garter snakes and some rattlers in the south of the province though even they aren't really up as far North as I live, and of course we have "normal" spiders (which I am distinctly UN-fond of as well, as in kill it with fire!!!!). You southerners just keep those things down there and the heck away from me!!!! 🤣. I've been surprised by a black bear showing up VERY close to me before, I've felt my hair stand on end when I finally figured out the weird tracks in the snow I was looking at couldn't be anything other than a cougar, etc…the presence of these actually dangerous animals doesn't do anything at all to my heart rate, blood pressure, mental state etc compared to seeing a big spider. Whatever about reptiles; I mean I don't want them around but they don't trigger any automatic panic in me. Big spiders do; it's 100 percent irrational and knowing it's irrational doesn't make it go away. Saw that picture and no joke just automatically my fists and jaw clenched!

Cool picture though, thanks for sharing nonetheless. Looks like something a coyote rifle would be just the ticket for taking care of!

Haha, I carry a 12ga shotgun as backup and did debate seeing what the 3" steel BB load would do to this thing, but ultimately thought better of it. Between this and the solifuges I am seriously debating a roof top tent.

Haha, I carry a 12ga shotgun as backup and did debate seeing what the 3" steel BB load would do to this thing, but ultimately thought better of it. Between this and the solifuges I am seriously debating a roof top tent.
Ahhh!!!! Those things creep me right out too! Of course I've never seen one in real life where I live.

Really, a northern climate has that one very large perk: the creepy crawlies just don't get that big, they can't survive winter. Plus where I live we don't get much interesting weather, it's not volcanically active, no significant earthquakes, about as far away from the ocean as it's possible to be. Just hot summers (hotter than many people south of the border think it gets up here) and famously cold winters.

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw in a local newspaper. These two old farmers are walking down the road in a miserably cold blizzard together, and you can see there's a truck that's hit the ditch and is stuck in the snow a ways behind them. The one is saying to the other "repeat after me…at least we don't get hurricanes, at least we don't get hurricanes, at least we don't get hurricanes…."

Dont harm them, tarantulas are good to have around and pretty much harmless to humans.

The take care of all smaller insects including other spiders and scorpions.

Dont harm them, tarantulas are good to have around and pretty much harmless to humans.

Don't worry, despite my personal feelings I try to keep an open mind and exercise a healthy level of respect for all things great and small.

No doubt this is true…my previous "kill it with fire" remarks are just a figure of speech in intent, wouldn't kill something out in the wild minding its own business for no good reason. If it somehow finds its way into my house however…😱

Don't worry, despite my personal feelings I try to keep an open mind and exercise a healthy level of respect for all things great and small.

Lol, by your comment I know you wouldn't hurt it, but thought I share because many people don't know how useful they are to have around.

I see about two to three every month around my house, they are pretty common here in the desert. Nature's own little exterminator.