Pictures of a nice buck.

JHow

What do you think of it? What do you think it would score?
Nikon D40 55-200mmVR

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0362.jpg

DSC_0368.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

120-130....135 max! I really hope you killed him and know the answer!

To justify my scoring, nice and wide 18-20" now his downs short tines, he is a nine but I dont deduct, lil thin on the mass size. And Id say he's a 2.5 year old.

Hard to judge em lookin at a pic, Nice pics by the way.

Lil secrect on my scoring this one is, my 10 I killed last year very simular style rack and I know the score on it!

Last edited:
I thought he was at least 3.5 yr. I'll post another pic to show his body size.
No, I never shot him. I would've had to shoot over my right shoulder, and rotating in that stand wasn't too much of an option. He should've followed a trail behind me to offer a perfect shot over my left shoulder, but a storm came out of nowhere and the last picture of him looking at me was as far as he came.
DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

DSC_0359-1.jpg

DSC_0358.jpg

I did get this one though:
DSC_0837.jpg

Last edited:
I dont know where you are so couldnt give an opinion using body size he is a pretty good size deer! But if you look at the shape of his head still in the shape of a younger deer. Look at my 10 under "totally unbelievable" or under black powder more pics of him in there youll see how much longer and more developed his nose and head are.
He is a 3.5-4.5 my taxidermist forgot I wanted his jaw and when killed he had the lock-jaw so I didnt get to look.

Some good news for ya he'll be a fine deer next year and looks like you found a great place for a stand. Try practicing a lil left handed stand shooting its really not that hard whith a lil practice....I dare one come up behind and right, flip the gun and get him! Work on some camo around your stand get it so you can move for a shot if you need to. I dont know how close he is gettting to you but practice your shooting. That was a pretty open spot maybe a nice ground blind would be in order. Good luck! dream about him till you see hime again youll get your chance at him.

I figured that out when I saw the pic of the one you got! trees and lil bambo oak leaves, I said to myself he is in MS! AND close!

Dave,
Ill give him 3 found out he is about in my backyard but he aint a 4.....Glad to see we agree on his score! I just hope he gets him!

Nyles, don't claim to be very knowledgeable on southern deer, but i might bet you one of those catfish dinners he's 4 years old. look at the angle the horns come out of his head. pretty low angle. on young deer, the angle of the horns where they exit the head are much closer together, like the dead one pictured on the ground. he looks 3 to me. look at the depth of the body and how the head looks a little small by comparison. granted the side view doesn't look like an old roman nose fella, but not all deer get that. but the front views are different. he's got me a little on the fence. but i'm bettin there's just as good a chance he's 4 as 3. again, southern deer aren't my specialty, and it's been a long time since i've killed one that size. as a side note, i'll drink almost any kind of beer you buy with that catfish dinner!

All I know is he is much bigger than any deer I saw this season. Hope you put the "smackdown" on him next year so we can all find out for sure;) Oh, and I don't think he's going to get any smaller:D good luck, AL

What do you think of it? What do you think it would score?
Nikon D40 55-200mmVR

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0351.jpg

DSC_0362.jpg

DSC_0368.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

I want to start off by saying that this is mature buck. To me he's got a full neck blending into the brisket area. My best guess he would be a 5yr old. Good disciplin on letting him go to grow another year. I also enjoy taking photographs of deer and like to watch them mature year after year ~ it's like catch and release. As far as the score goes I don't think he will crack 130 due to his short tine length, but he does have good main beam length. Looks like a 9pt in the picture. The break down on scoring a deer in % of what gives you more on the score is: Main Beam, Tine Length, Mass and then Width. I really enjoy seeing pictures of mature deer. If it's any kind of an indicator look at the other deer in the picture: The spike is for sure a 1yr old and then there is what looks like a 6pt in the picture - he may go 2/3yrs old. You can see the difference in bodies from the pictures.... That's what I see.. Keep the pictures coming..

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.