Ammo Manufacturers Say They Are Running 24/7...So Where's It Going???

Chas1

Ammo manufacturers say they are running 24/7, adding new equipment/personnel and it's all going out the door (and it's not going to the government or very little is). Now I don't expect that every retailer is all of a sudden going to have full shelves but, I would at least think I'd be hearing once in a while either from folks on here or elsewhere how they were able to get such and such ammo. Everywhere I look online and everyone I talk with says ammo is non-existent and that's pretty much what I hear on this Forum. SOOOO my question is: Where's it going ? Anyone want to venture a guess ?

yup... I was at a LGS yesterday and there were a dozen vultures there waiting for the guys to stock the shelves... Most everything was gone in the time I was there... I got some V565 myself but left the 9's and rifle ammo for others. I've got enough of most things for a spell. The only thing I don't have as much reserve as I want to is pistol primers, and I'm probably alright there too.

Over 21 million guns were sold last year alone, about 14 million in 2019, 13 million in 2018, 14 million in 2017, 16 million in 2016--- over 250 million since 1998---how many boxes of ammo do you have "stashed away"?

you tell me where all the ammo is going.

Ammo manufacturers have been on backorder status since last June. Length of time has grown from 1 year to 5-6 years since then for many of them. Covid regulations has had a dramatic impact on manufacturing capacity during that time. 40+ million guns sold last year, via background checks easily translate to over 5 billion rounds of ammo sold just for those guns.

Ammo and reloading supplies are nearly extinct here in Sandpoint Idaho.
Our local North 40 got a good supply of Federal 800 round bricks last Wednesday(3/3/21) one brick limit.
The price was a reasonable $51.35 after sales tax. I came back the next day and bought another brick.
Friday afternoon was the first day of our club's weekend gun show. We saw some of the same bricks priced at $120-$150 at the show.
Crazy world inspired by the Democrats.

Attachments

• FBA9C53B-C225-40EF-9EFA-7BAB86A3C667.jpeg
    FBA9C53B-C225-40EF-9EFA-7BAB86A3C667.jpeg
    239.4 KB · Views: 30
It's being hoarded by people waiting at the shelves for the ammo shipments to come in and guys who lurk websites waiting for stuff to come in stock.

This...a bunch of retired fudds just "trying to make an honest buck" at the local flee market. And the dooms day preppers who get easily winded walking up a flight of stairs but think they can hold off an army of looters.

According to those same ammunition manufacturers, the influx of millions of new shooters over the past couple of years is THE main factor.

I would also surmise that the prevalence of semi-automatic firearms translates to more rounds being fired per session than used to be.

We have over-grown the sport to our own detriment

Supplies rarely make it to the shelves anymore.
That's why I started this thread. For all the production you would at least think you'd see some of it showing up even online but, damned if I've seen any or heard anyone say they seen it except maybe for a Mom and Pop store. I think maybe an earlier poster got it right that maybe it's folks camping out at store fronts & sweeping it all up before it even hits the shelves.

Could be a bunch of factors at the same time. The new shooters thing that Pinoniper mentioned is a big one, another is the scalpers that are buying it all up to sell on GB. Another is panic buying, every time our enemies on the other side introduce anti-gun legislation it has to create more demand. Then you couple that with the effects that COVID19 had/still has on manufacturing and the acquisition of raw materials.

Well my local mom/pop shop used to have several pounds of looked over inventory.....pop said a guy from Oregon came over a month ago and bought everything he had..at retail price...shelves are empty....completely....but the laugh is on the buyer..he left 1# of 800hiskor.....didnt get it all sucker..
mom/pop WILL NOT BE ORDERING ANY MORE POWDER OR PRIMERS..
He's willing to sell the shop too...
Still has a pile of rifles and pistols of all kinds.........but he wouldn't sell me his trusty 223 vtr....the dog.......only one I want too.......

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.