Am I about to blow my face off?

Subzero

I just bought a Remington 700 Long Range in .300 win mag. First off, I shot 10rds of factory 180gr core-lokt ammo (the cheap stuff) just to sight in the scope and shoot a couple of groups. Both groups were just under 1in at 3,031fps. I'm pretty happy with that. Now on to reloading.
I started off using 212 ELD-X's and RL-26. I'm using load data from my Nosler manual with loads listed for the 210gr Accubond LR. It lists a max of 76.0gr, at a velocity of 2,874 out of a 24" barrel.

I have a 26" barrel. These were my readings from my Caldwell chronograph:
Remington brass, CCI-250, 74.0gr RL-26, 3.600 COAL = Avg. 2,926fps with no pressure signs at all.
Remington brass, CCI-250, 75.0gr RL-26, 3.600 COAL = Avg. 2,996fps, easy bolt lift, primer still pretty round on edges, slightest ejector mark barely visible.

I was hoping for good speed, but this doesn't seem right. I didn't shoot the rest of my ammo, which I loaded at 76.0gr of RL-26, for fear of blowing myself up.
What do you guys think about these velocity's?
Anyone with QL care to chime in?
Thanks.

I just bought a Remington 700 Long Range in .300 win mag. First off, I shot 10rds of factory 180gr core-lokt ammo (the cheap stuff) just to sight in the scope and shoot a couple of groups. Both groups were just under 1in at 3,031fps. I'm pretty happy with that. Now on to reloading.
I started off using 212 ELD-X's and RL-26. I'm using load data from my Nosler manual with loads listed for the 210gr Accubond LR. It lists a max of 76.0gr, at a velocity of 2,874 out of a 24" barrel.

I have a 26" barrel. These were my readings from my Caldwell chronograph:
Remington brass, CCI-250, 74.0gr RL-26, 3.600 COAL = Avg. 2,926fps with no pressure signs at all.
Remington brass, CCI-250, 75.0gr RL-26, 3.600 COAL = Avg. 2,996fps, easy bolt lift, primer still pretty round on edges, slightest ejector mark barely visible.

I was hoping for good speed, but this doesn't seem right. I didn't shoot the rest of my ammo, which I loaded at 76.0gr of RL-26, for fear of blowing myself up.
What do you guys think about these velocity's?
Anyone with QL care to chime in?
Thanks.

actually, picking up speed is normal. how much speed.... well that can be a topic to discuss.

published data is well, a starting point. lots of other variables to take i. to account.

i'd back it off to 74.5-74.8 and roll with it

If your asking about blowing your face off, there's a good chance you are. If you don't know, stop. It's that simple, you did come to a good place for info. Slight ejector marks can be normal, or can be dangerous, they only tell part of the story.
"pretty round" and "barely visible" mean very different thing to different people. What might be "barely visible" to you, might be very obvious to someone else. Trust me, once you blow a gun up, you'll make sure you do everything to make sure it never happens again. Be safe, work slow, if you need more speed, buy a bigger gun. No need to run these things on the ragged edge. There is literally a cartridge available that will do anything you without being over pressure. There is no need to chase numbers, find a good safe accurate load and run it. The critters won't judge you on your numbers.

I guess my issue here is that my velocities are way faster than what I expected. I've hit pressure before with other rifles/cartridges and the max load and max velocity seemed close to published numbers. The difference here, is that my velocities seem too good to be true. Way faster than any published data I've seen.
I'm not looking to push it any faster. Just weirded out by my fast velocities. I'm currently shooting faster than most of the max loads in my Nosler manual for a 300 RUM!

RL 26 is known for it's impressive velocities. There's also several members on here (myself included) that have seen some weird velocity/pressure spikes in temps over 80 degrees when using this powder. I wouldn't push it any more if I were you. Before I switched over to H1000 in my .300 Win Mag I was running the Berger 210 vld's, ADG brass (once fired) and Federal GM215M's with 73.1 gr RL 26 (26" barrel) and getting slightly over 3,000 fps muzzle velocity as measured with a Magnetospeed. Below is a 5-shot velocity confirmation check I did this past summer several months before hunting season opened.
960C09C2-7AC1-4CBE-9506-260B392A75D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Your intuition seems sound. Several things from your post worthy of investigating before you start shooting again.

Observation:
Lights start going off when you are getting 3031 fps with a load published at 2960 fps- a delta of 60 fps. I immediately find that suspect. Without being able to find anything on how Remington measures velocity on their ammunition, it is hard to tell. We all know the trick, publish the velocity from a high end 26" barrel and slap it on the box. I do not think I have ever seen factory rifles produce velocities above published velocity. I normally expect to see 50-200 fps less than published.

Hypothesis:
The velocities you are getting could be from a chronograph giving an erroneous reading. A lot of the less expensive optical chronographs are notorious for erroneous readings. A slight bend or flex in the body on two, closely spaced optical sensors can skew results greatly. This is a diagram showing how it can happen from the folding style chronographs. A similar effect could happen from a misaligned sensor that is just hot-glued in there, an over-tightened screw, etc.

1613471429833.png

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/07/20/chronograph-accuracy-tips-15-practical-tips-to-increase-accuracy-reliability/

Perhaps check your chronograph against a LabRadar, Oehler, Magnetospeed, etc.

In regards to reloading:
Looking at what I have for information Nosler load data goes from 200gr-210gr. This is only for their bullets.
Compare the longest 210 gr bullet Nosler makes, the Accubond LR, to the ELD-X.
Accubond LR o.a.l 1.550"
Hornady 212-gr ELD-X 1.600"
The difference in length: +0.050" from Nosler to Hornady.
The ELD-X is also 2 grains heavier.

None of this says DO NOT use RL26 with that bullet. I'm sure there are TONS of folks who already do. I would suggest you STOP until you find published data for it. Again, your intuition is right. When powder ignites, you are dealing with >60,000 PSI. Small changes can lead to major jumps in pressure. This stuff does not scale linearly. Manufacturers can be a phenomenal resource. Quickloads might help guide you, but it is never a tool from coming up with a new recipe. Keep consulting others who load with that powder and bullet.

Keep us updated with the progress and of course, don't blow yourself up!

There are some powder cartridge combos that exceed what some have considered top end for years. R26 and Hybrid100V are two I have found. Some powders work in a lot of cartridges, there may be a small window they excell in.
When new powders come out, my shooting bud and I study load data pretty hard.

As far as a 300WM, H1000 has given me speed and accuracy with 180's and heavier.

With the simple parameters you gave, I ran the numbers in QL. What I am missing is your case capacity, which is a deal breaker. 76gr yields 61K in pressure.
BUT, big but, you had ejector marks at 75gr, whether new brass or fired, time to quit. Velocity is a result of pressure, no getting around that. If you feel the velocities are high, find another chrono and find out.

There is no set standard for speeds from different platforms, barrels are not the same, nothing is linear here. And don't compare a different bullet of close to the same weight, bearing surface, maybe even a slight diameter difference plays hard here.
Pull the bullets from the 76gr loads and call it a day, you probably won't blow your face off, but why go there? Shoot a lighter bullet if you need more speed.

If your COAL is longer than the book max, you have more case capacity and thus can run higher velocity than the book max. However, if you aren't too familiar with pressure signs, you should back it off to be safe.

I often run longer than published COAL, and often run faster than published data for a given cartridge. However, I've also struggled to reach published velocities as well. I think each gun is different. As stated, play it safe. You really aren't gaining much, if anything, by pushing the velocity limit at long range. Nothing you can't compensate for with another click or two on your scope turret.

I wouldn't worry about anything but what your gun tells you. Book max and QL are just suggested loads. Their are a lot of other factors that they don't take into effect when it comes to speed. I run H1000 in my 300 wm with 215 Berger's going 3000fps out of a 26 inch barrel. No signs of pressure on brass or primers. It shoots 1/2 moa all day. If there are no signs of pressure I wouldn't worry about it, you will blow a primer before the gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.