What I found out about my 270WSM

summitsitter

I have recently been doing some experimenting with my 270wsm. IT HATES 130 gr. Hornady sst with H1000 1.150" but seems to really like the 150gr's with the H1000 .345" Do yall think maybe it'll shooting the 130's with say RL19 or H4350 any better or should I jsut stick with the 150's. Have got a few 140 accubonds to try out also. Thanks

I would try the Reloader 19 or IMR4350.My Nosler book shows the IMR4350 as the most accurate powder tested with the 130gr. bullet.There is a big difference between H4350 and IMR4350.When I tested the velocity difference between the two on my 7mag.,I was getting over 150fps higher velocities with IMR4350 than I did with H4350 using the same weight powder charge and bullet.If that still doesn't do it for you,just try a different 130gr bullet.

I have had good results using RL-19 with 130 Sciroccos. I currently shoot 140AB's with MagPro, but also got good groups with IMR7828 and RL22. Magpro has higher velocities.

Depends on what your goal(s) are. One philosophy is to pick a bullet and find the right load, willing to change brass, primers, and powder, with the latter 2 being most common.

Another is to choose a rifle, then find the right bullet, which takes longer, usually. You obviously have a satisfactory load with a 150 bullet.

If you wish to continue with the 130 SST, there's a good chance you just need to change powders.

It is reasonable to consider the following powders:

VV N160, N165
IMR 4350, H4350, XMR 4350
IMR 4831, H4831SC
Re19, 22
Magnum

Okay here my question I'm getting ready to order some bergers. Would I messing up by ordering the 130's or play it safe and get the 150"s

I guess it really depends on what you plan on shooting.If your after mulies and elk,by all means go with the 150's,but if you're after mainly whitetails,I think I'd search for the magic 130 or you can compromise and choose a 140gr.

SummitSitter,
To tell the truth I have given up on Hornady bullets. If they posses gilt edge accuracy, I haven't found it. I have been fooled in the past by the advertising and then disappointed with the results. Nosler, Sierra and Swift have all produced time and time again.
With the 130gn bullets I have found my .270WSM likes RL22 and IMR7828. Still searching for the best 140gn load. So far, IMR7828 gets the nod and it's the weight I really wanted to use in this rifle/caliber. I haven't tried the 150's yet. JohnnyK.

SummitSitter,
To tell the truth I have given up on Hornady bullets. If they posses gilt edge accuracy, I haven't found it.

I concur. When it comes to hunting bullets, I have had success with the following and in order:

Nosler
Barnes and Swift
Speer
Sierra

Hornady has always been a very good performance bullet but not so much in repeatable accuracy.

I agree, glad to hear someone else shares same experiences. Forgot about Barnes, the TSX's are superbly accurate in my .25-06 Sendero, as are the 115gn Bergers. JohnnyK.

Yeah since I am new to reloading this may be a normal thing but I noticed that the 130 grain bullets (hornady) varied in weight from the few I checked. 129-131grs. Think I really want to shoot the bergers or the nosler accubond 140's. Also I think I read somewhere that the H1000 worked best for heavier bullets in the 270.

I haven't weighed any of them but I think from weighing other bullets they should be closer in tolerance than that. If not for Hornady's standard then for mine! I've always thought that the .270Win would shine shooting a 140gn pill/26"+ barrel. If I can get the 140gn Berger VLD or Nosler AccuBond to shoot (.3"or better) with the velocity (3150fps) then it'll do anything my 7mmRM will do (I think). JohnnyK.

Last edited:
Did I miss something? Your rifle shoots the 150gr SST into .345"groups and you're not satisfied? The SST's are usually my go to bullets. They have a high bc, have always been accurate in my rifles, cost about half of what most comparable bullets do, and have great terminal performance on game. Did I mention they are less expensive???

Did I miss something? Your rifle shoots the 150gr SST into .345"groups and you're not satisfied? The SST's are usually my go to bullets. They have a high bc, have always been accurate in my rifles, cost about half of what most comparable bullets do, and have great terminal performance on game. Did I mention they are less expensive???

Naw Man I'm completely satified with the 150 was just wondering about the 130's. As far as the SST killing performance...It's AWSOME. Really like th whole they blow. And yes price is very good

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.