Aluminium versus steel

tribb

Well I bought a weatherby mk v accumark in 270 wby and I would like to use a picatenny rail for scope mounting. Am interested to see what you folks recommend as to brand of rail and especially the material for the rail. Recoil isn't bad but most scopes weigh between 1and 2 lbs. So don't know what material would be acceptable. Thanks in advance for all your help. Tribb

I I have used nothing but aluminum night force on my 7mag, Warne on my 6.5 creedmoor never had any issues. I like the seekins or vortex precision rings, next time I think I'm going to try the Hawkins though.

I I have used nothing but aluminum night force on my 7mag, Warne on my 6.5 creedmoor never had any issues. I like the seekins or vortex precision rings, next time I think I'm going to try the Hawkins though.
Thanks

Steel is appropriate if you're hard on your guns. IE; your rifle falling of a mountain, extreme temp differences immediately, getting hit by a truck etc.
Obviously the harder metal is less prone to warping during these things and hence why military sniper rifles use steel bases, and why the m40 is lugged.

If you're like most people who care for their personal property, aluminum works fine.

Steel is appropriate if you're hard on your guns. IE; your rifle falling of a mountain, extreme temp differences immediately, getting hit by a truck etc.
Obviously the harder metal is less prone to warping during these things and hence why military sniper rifles use steel bases, and why the m40 is lugged.

If you're like most people who care for their personal property, aluminum works fine.

^^^This!^^^

I used to think that way before I discovered 7075 aluminum.

When most people think of aluminum, it's 6061, or possibly 20xx if you are into aircraft.

I've had lots of problems with scarring, deformation and stripped screws with older 'traditional' 6061. All that goes away with 7075, so be careful with generalizations.

I really like the EGW HD rails

Last edited:

Thanks

I used to think that way before I discovered 7075 aluminum.

When most people think of aluminum, it's 6061, or possibly 20xx if you are into aircraft.

I've had lots of problems with scarring, deformation and stripped screws with older 'traditional' 6061. All that goes away with 7075, so be careful with generalizations.

I really like the EGW HD rails
Thanks

I use alloy rails on every rifle that does not have an integrated base milled into the action already. A couple are made by/come with my actions (Kelbly), but any that I buy aftermarket are Seekins. They have a recoil lug milled into them, and have stood up to everything I shoot them on.
.338 WM, .300RUM, .300WM, 7STW, 7RM, .280AI, .270 Win, 6.5SS, 6.5SLR, .25-06AI, .250AI, .22-250, etc.

I use alloy rails on every rifle that does not have an integrated base milled into the action already. A couple are made by/come with my actions (Kelbly), but any that I buy aftermarket are Seekins. They have a recoil lug milled into them, and have stood up to everything I shoot them on.
.338 WM, .300RUM, .300WM, 7STW, 7RM, .280AI, .270 Win, 6.5SS, 6.5SLR, .25-06AI, .250AI, .22-250, etc.
Great thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.