.243 versus Swede

Teutonic

I was thinking about the .243 versus the 6.5x55 swede in a long range tactical set up. Any thoughts on which would be superior?

Also, do you think a .243 with 1:10 twist would stabilize the 115 high bc bullets?

Another comment

Varmit Rounds - Family, Friends, Firearms

Somewhat got my question answered at above forum. If I want to shoot the 115s in a 243, I really need a 1:8 twist. This makes me think the swede will be better as no production rifles I know of come in a 1:8 243 twist. What do you all think?

-55 Sweede

Consider this: if you are going tactical with a Sweede, look at a 120gr Berger molly with a 1-10 twist Kreiger. The down range performance is great and when brass gets in short supply, Sweede brass will be there. Overbore

+ 1 on the Swede over the .243, but I would look at the .260 Rem factory round or a 7mm-08 if you are shopping. Also, some factory rifles will reach tactical level accuracy, but most won't out of the box.

Good shooting, Tom

I was thinking about the tikka t3 tactical. The twist rates were a concern with the 260. In order to stabilize the 140's I would need what I would assume to be a little faster than a 1:9 twist?

I think Lilja barrels web page has a twist calculator excel page. You need to know the length of tghe bullet and the velocity you expect and will give you a recommended twist.

If a 6,5-284 is usually done in 1-8 or 1-8,5, I would see to go with an 1-8 for the Swede ( which by the way I think is superior to the 243).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.