Almost had my first case separation

You aren't the Lone Ranger. Found this is my ammo box after an elk hunt in Wyoming. Brass was on second loading, and had been annealed. It was in one piece when I picked it out but fell apart while I was handling it. Had a hard time finding any new .270 Winchester brass this spring so defaulted to Nosler. The load is sub 1/2" all day long with Bergers and Superformance. Dropped my elk with one shot. Didn't notice the case until a week later. No more Nosler brass for me.
Phew! That's one hell of a close call! Glad you got your elk at least but that could've been a real bad day if it came apart and stuck in your chamber.

Phew! That's one hell of a close call! Glad you got your elk at least but that could've been a real bad day if it came apart and stuck in your chamber.
I've had nothing but good luck with Lapua 6.5-284 brass loaded hot in the 6.5-284 and 25-284 . The Nosler brass not so good , it is too soft , the piece of brass the OP showed is definitely a flawed piece of brass , that ring is too far up from the base for a incipient case head separation, as stated by others.

I've had a handful of lapua 65284 do it in from 2 different brand new boxes....
Have never had nosler brass do it....
I put it towards my fault...too much full lenght sizing that wasn't adjusted correctly(which load shot great) and to much powder......and my separation is exactly the same place....

I was reloading for my 28 Nosler and I initially passed over this case during the resizing portion. I saw it had a distinct line 360 degrees around it, but I couldn't feel any groove at all on the external portion of the case so I kept on with my resizing. I kept thinking about that weird line and I'm glad I let my curiosity get the best of me and grabbed a light to look inside the case. Found that deep groove on the inside of the case matching the depth line on the outside of the case. Decided to cut it open and share the pictures.

Some things to note:
This case was fired four times, annealed between firings. Full length Redding Die, set to bump the shoulder back .002". Relatively hot loads, but no other external signs of pressure yet.

Only piece of brass from this 20 round lot to have any issue like that. It is Nosler Custom brass, which I personally hate but couldn't find ADG or anything else at the time that I was gathering my components. Not knocking those who like or prefer it, just not my go-to stuff typically. Never had a great experience using it in any of my calibers.
20221013_213004-jpg.401470
I use a stiff wire with an end bent 90deg and sharpened to a point. Use like a feeler gauge and an incippient separation is detected long before visible on the outside.
BTW, as a previous post said that is not where a separation usually occurs - much closer to the web. Jim

I have posted this before. Shooting a Mod '98 Mauser in 7X57 I had a case separate. The large ring saved me as it diverted the gas up away from my eyes and hit me in the forehead. Like getting hit with a 2X4, I saw stars. Not sure my safety glasses would have withstood the impact of the gas.
Don't mess with questionable brass.

Another thing to remember when you get custom dies built to your chamber some companies want you to fire the brass in the chamber at least 3-4 times before even sending you brass to get the dies made. So that means don't bump shoulders for a few firing I had the same thing happen to me but with lapua 30-06 getting necked down to 280 so I could fire form into 280AI. Right from the get go I stated bumping shoulders but my brass hadn't even expanded to the full length of the chamber yet so when I thought I was bumping 2 thou I just kept stretching the hell of of that brass and. That will definitely cause that brass to stretch in the middle. So my next batch of brass I just sized the neck no shoulder bump for the first 4 firings and the rings went away and according to my measurements after the first firing to the 4th that brass still grew another 5 thou until it hit full chamber length

Here's the Lapua Brass. Even tried new brass out of same box.
Exactly where mine separated....I bet to the mm......
Hot loads....no....24" barrel 65284 at 2950fps
Other rifle chambered the same...same gunsmith...same reamer....26" barrel...shooting between 2975 -3000fps...never a case separation.......

Chamber of rifle with the separation been checked many times.....nothing wrong with it.....