Almost had my first case separation

drumjunky91

I was reloading for my 28 Nosler and I initially passed over this case during the resizing portion. I saw it had a distinct line 360 degrees around it, but I couldn't feel any groove at all on the external portion of the case so I kept on with my resizing. I kept thinking about that weird line and I'm glad I let my curiosity get the best of me and grabbed a light to look inside the case. Found that deep groove on the inside of the case matching the depth line on the outside of the case. Decided to cut it open and share the pictures.

Some things to note:
This case was fired four times, annealed between firings. Full length Redding Die, set to bump the shoulder back .002". Relatively hot loads, but no other external signs of pressure yet.

Only piece of brass from this 20 round lot to have any issue like that. It is Nosler Custom brass, which I personally hate but couldn't find ADG or anything else at the time that I was gathering my components. Not knocking those who like or prefer it, just not my go-to stuff typically. Never had a great experience using it in any of my calibers.
20221013_213004-jpg.401470

Attachments

• 20221013_200709.jpg
    20221013_200709.jpg
    908.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 20221013_213004.jpg
    20221013_213004.jpg
    831.4 KB · Views: 998
I have never seen one separate in the middle of the case like that. Thanks for posting and supplying the excellent pictures. Not sure what would have caused it, but thankfully you caught it when you did. If it was something you were doing wrong while reloading, it would have shown up in other cases too. Might be just be a defective piece of brass.

Last edited:
You'll have some with far more experience than I weigh in on this, but that isn't the typical place on the case to have that. Those I have seen are usually right above the web. It pays to examine your brass well - glad you caught this. I would guess this was a suspect piece from the beginning?
That was my thought exactly, way too far up from the web to be case head issue. My guess is a manufacturing issue as well. I saw no rapid growth or anything on these cases either through the fireforming or regular reloading steps.

Not to keep beating up on Nosler Custom, but I decided to open my second box of 25 new pieces and run them through the resizing die to make sure the necks were all uniform and I ended up finding this piece. Neck is completely split vertically and almost looks like it's soldered back together inside the neck. Anyone else running in to this with new stuff out of the box?
20221014_065040.jpg
20221014_065121.jpg

For the price Nosler charges for their brass there shouldn't be issues like this.
Not to keep beating up on Nosler Custom, but I decided to open my second box of 25 new pieces and run them through the resizing die to make sure the necks were all uniform and I ended up finding this piece. Neck is completely split vertically and almost looks like it's soldered back together inside the neck. Anyone else running in to this with new stuff out of the box?
View attachment 401517View attachment 401518

I've a 65284 that gives me the 'rings'......
I have a bent/sharpened steel rod that I run inside the case to determine just how bad it is....if the rod sticks then bumps over the I throw them out..but if rolling smooth I fire at least once more.....

That's nuts, like to hear what if anything on what you end up finding out. Only one piece of brass did this? Seen things like or similar in forming , they draw a piece and if it weak in one spot you'll find out when you draw it. But never seen it in the brass cases before, looks like when they were drawing it , it got stuck in the mandrel and started to pull apart, they reversed the mandrel and it release but popped the case out a bit, then they pulled it out

That's nuts, like to hear what if anything on what you end up finding out. Only one piece of brass did this? Seen things like or similar in forming , they draw a piece and if it weak in one spot you'll find out when you draw it. But never seen it in the brass cases before,
Well I ended up searching around last night and found Creedmoor Sports had ADG 28 Nosler brass in stock so I ordered 2 boxes. Probably won't spend much more time using this junk honestly. I have one last round of loaded ones to fire off and then they'll probably get put to the side.

You aren't the Lone Ranger. Found this is my ammo box after an elk hunt in Wyoming. Brass was on second loading, and had been annealed. It was in one piece when I picked it out but fell apart while I was handling it. Had a hard time finding any new .270 Winchester brass this spring so defaulted to Nosler. The load is sub 1/2" all day long with Bergers and Superformance. Dropped my elk with one shot. Didn't notice the case until a week later. No more Nosler brass for me.

Attachments

• 20221015_100947.jpg
    20221015_100947.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 143