alluminum vs. poured pillars

devildoc

So, I've got some Devcon steel putty and brownells release agent on the way, and am getting worked up to go ahead and bed my A-Bolt. I've done a bit of kitchen table gunsmithing before, and I think I'll most likely be able to pull it off (I have not, as of yet bedded a rifle before). However, after researching a bit on this site, it looks like installing alluminum pillars in an A-bolt can be a bit tricky, and I'm not convinced that I want to or need to do it. So the questions I have are; how much will I be giving up by just pouring an epoxy pillar (a-la "how to shoot beyond belief" style)? And, about how thick does the epoxy need to be in the forend in order to stiffen it up? I've got quite a bit of flex in the forend on my factory stock and figure I better do something about that if I plan to get any accuracy out of it.
Thanks guys.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.