Allowable Max Chamber Length for 338 Lapua MaG

DIYVHD

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbee so its open season on some fresh meat. The rifle is a Savage .338 Lapua Mag 110 FCP. There were no expectations of this rifle being very accurate but using minimal reloading prep and components has produced some suprisingly good groups, go figure.

Data shows specs for max case length at 2.724 in. and recommended trim-to length at 2.714 in. This morning I used a Sinclair Chamber Length Gage Insert (5 times) and the readings were 2.7455 in. That is .02150 in. over the max case length - does this appear reasonable for this caliber?

I've seen specs on max chamber length ranging from 2.7342 to 2.7513 - does this seem correct?

Just for grins, the chamber neck ID (and brass OD) is .37300 in., headspace on fire formed brass using a Hornady .420 insert is between 2.3250 and 2.3255, and the case length varies between 2.7180 and 2.7190 in. - obviously not a match chamber.

If I decide to FL size everytime, is there anyone you would recommend to mod a Forster die?

Respectfully,

Stan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.