Airline Travel with a Rifle

Triple BB

I'm headed back East for a whitetail hunt in three weeks. How big of a headache is it to fly with a rifle. I have the option to shoot a friend's gun, but I'd rather bring my own. Can anyone fill me in on what it takes, good or bad. Thanks

Call the airlines but it really isn't that bad if all goes right. A few other threads worth reading recently on the site you might want to search. My dad flys all the time with a handgun in the US and never had an issue

It varies by airline. When you say back East, I'm assuming you are legal for the state you're headed too?

Check your airline regulations and they'll spell it all out for you. Be sure to print out the TSA rules and the airline rules and take them with you. Depending on where you're leaving from, the agents don't always know the rules.

Get a good hard case. Enough locks for each lockable hole (Delta requires this). Don't do TSA locks, only you should have access to the case.

Locked container for firearm to be transported in, if ammunition is being transported, it must go in the same container as the firearm. You check it in at the counter, from there it goes to tsa. It's really no big deal

Call airline, read and PRINT their requirements to take with you. Read and PRINT TSA requirements and take with with you. Sometimes the requirements get personal addition that can be refuted. Buy GPS tags to place in your firearm case and gear bags. Buy HVAC duct ties to secure your case closed AFTER TSA check. Rifle case cannot be opened unless cutting them. Most cases will have some means of assuring these zip ties cannot be slid off if tightened enough. Place your flight itinerary in your case with phone numbers.

Buy an AIRLINE TSA rated rifle case that us tough enough for the proverbial luggage handler GORILLA.

Just assume your rifle case will be gently handled lije this.

Like everyone else already said. Review and print copies of TSA and airline requirements. Give yourself an extra half hour at the airport for check in. Use a good case and a good lock at every attachment point. Only you should have a key. Ammo goes in the case with the rifle. Makes inspection easier if you drop the bolt out and put it in the case separately so the TSA agent knows it's unloaded. If you get a double rifle case you can also put your knives, spotter, bipod etc. in there.

Locked container for firearm to be transported in, if ammunition is being transported, it must go in the same container as the firearm. You check it in at the counter, from there it goes to tsa. It's really no big deal
Varies by airline and TSA agent. Depends on the day whether ammunition is allowed in the same case as the gun. Sometimes it goes with the gun, sometimes it goes separate in checked baggage. Be prepared for both. I fly with a gun several times a year and have seen it both ways several times

My buddy and I recently flew from different airports to meet up at airport near our destination in Montana. We have identical rifle cases (Pelican Vault 770) and identical TSA short cable combination locks. He never made it past the ticket agent (Southwest, I think) because the cable lock allowed the case to be opened a tiny bit where ticket agent could insert fingers. He had to leave his rifle behind (with wife) in order to catch the flight. My identical setup made it through without problem at SFO. The United Airlines ticket agent walked me to TSA and their agent accepted my rifle.

On the return trip, at Montana Airport, the United ticket agent indicated that my cable lock allowed fingers to enter partly opened case. She offered me to replace the lock or if I had a second lock, to install two locks. Just so happened that I had a second lock at that satisfied her, even though it was identical to the first lock and you could still slightly open the case and insert your fingers. Go figure.

This is what I'll do next time; Make sure locks are very tight and bring extras. I also plan on using one TSA lock and one non-TSA lock. I'm fine if they cut it off and lose it; too many TSA keys floating around.

By the way, my buddy used my rifle and we both got our pronghorn using it.

I have hunted Africa several times and have never been allowed to put ammo in same case as the rifle. TSA rules allow it but every airline I've been on has a "policy " that doesn't allow it. Check with your airline!!
Bruce

Varies by airline and TSA agent. Depends on the day whether ammunition is allowed in the same case as the gun. Sometimes it goes with the gun, sometimes it goes separate in checked baggage. Be prepared for both. I fly with a gun several times a year and have seen it both ways several times

Yes- Be prepared for both regarding ammo. I had a box with the rifle and another box in other checked bag; and I was prepared to switch that up at the counter if needed. My United Airlines counter person sent me to TSA for rifle check in and the TSA person was fine with ammo in rifle case.

I have hunted Africa several times and have never been allowed to put ammo in same case as the rifle. TSA rules allow it but every airline I've been on has a "policy " that doesn't allow it. Check with your airline!!
Bruce
I couldn't believe it either but coming back earlier this year from Pennsylvania going through Philadelphia international airport, I brought back a family heirloom rifle my brother gave me along with 2 boxes of ammunition, 2 boxes of brass and reloading dies for the gun, all in the same case. The guy at the counter walked me down to a curtain and shoved the case through it where tsa inspected it, said all was good and I didn't see it again until it arriving at my destination here in Colorado . I'm sure there's nightmare stories out there but in my case , easy peasy