AG Alpine Hunter VS Peak 44 Blacktooth

BCole

Over this past year I had a custom rifle built by Alamo Precision. I had them build me a 280ai on a defiance AnTi with 24" proof barrel and AG alpine hunter stock (picture below). Finally was able to scrape up enough components to get it ready for the upcoming PA deer/bear season. Really enjoying the 280ai so far, but I'm not certain I'm sold on the alpine hunter stock. I had a chance to look at a Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 Ti and really like the feel of the Peak 44 stock. I spoke with them on the phone and they will soon be making stocks specifically for the defiance actions. (Sound like a shot show announcement). My question is what will I be gaining/loosing if I switch. My normal hunting is from an elevated stand with potential 400yard shots. Also do some walking to other stands/ pushing with potential off hand shooting. I do plan to take this rifle out to Wyoming and Kentucky one day. I don't plan to shoot game past 600 yards if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance
2693BD94-CDE3-4C4B-B4F9-049EF7FEAAD0.jpeg

What does your rifle weigh, as pictured? I, too, like the feel of the Peak 44 stock. I do wish it was a little more rounded right around the front action screw for ease of carrying. While I see it more as a walking around through the woods stock, I would think it would be fine for your intended purposes. Based on actual weights I have seen mentioned for both stocks, I wouldn't be surprised if you saved 8 ounces or more going with the Peak 44.

I know the bare gun was 6.75lbs I have to be in the 8.25lb range with scope and rings. So I would think I would be in the 7.5lb range with the peak 44.

Nice rig as it sits. Keep us posted on the stock change. I have not handled Peak 44 yet. You have a what I consider a sweet spot in a hunting rifle weight right now. It's all about how it feels and shoulders with quick scope acquisition. If I was out west or Midwest with prone opportunities, I would have gone a with a different stock than the Mesa Altitude on my 280AI.

Thanks it turned out better than expected. I will be using the Alpine hunter this season and see how it does in the field. Haven't totally made up my mind, but will be keeping a close eye on Peak44 with the upcoming inletting specifically for defiance actions. Probably putting to much thought into it, but want it to be right for me. I find a rifle in the 7-8.5lb range seems to be ideal. Thanks.

Over this past year I had a custom rifle built by Alamo Precision. I had them build me a 280ai on a defiance AnTi with 24" proof barrel and AG alpine hunter stock (picture below). Finally was able to scrape up enough components to get it ready for the upcoming PA deer/bear season. Really enjoying the 280ai so far, but I'm not certain I'm sold on the alpine hunter stock. I had a chance to look at a Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 Ti and really like the feel of the Peak 44 stock. I spoke with them on the phone and they will soon be making stocks specifically for the defiance actions. (Sound like a shot show announcement). My question is what will I be gaining/loosing if I switch. My normal hunting is from an elevated stand with potential 400yard shots. Also do some walking to other stands/ pushing with potential off hand shooting. I do plan to take this rifle out to Wyoming and Kentucky one day. I don't plan to shoot game past 600 yards if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance View attachment 409300
Have you recently contacted Peak44 about the Defiance inletting? I think I'm going to give them a call and ask.