After-market Triggers - the good, bad and ugly?

Ian M

Am interested in hearing about your experience installing aftermarket triggers, particularly on Rems and Savages. Would like to hear about brands that worked very well, brands that suck.
.. how easy was the installation
.. were the instructions well prepared?
.. end-result - how much better was the after-market trigger?
.. any horror stories?

Appreciate any info. I pretty much destroy anything mechanical that I touch, should I try one of these things by myself?

I have Canjar set triggers on all of my hunting guns from an XP to 416 Gibbs. I installed all but the first one, very easy to install and adjust, normal trigger is set at a crisp 2 pounds, set is ounces, I like the trigger shoe they come with. I also have several target models this trigger is different as it is not a set trigger and the trigger is a curved wire which you can turn to the left or right. I bought a rifle with a custom over sized trigger guard and the wire was straight except for a hump in the middle, you just moved your finger straight down and when you hit the hump it fired, I have not seen another like it.

The only problem is the time delay in getting them, they don't make a lot of them at a time but they do make them for Remington, Winchester, Mauser, and P14's as well as a few others.

for a hunting gun its hard to beat a rifle basixs. Easy to install and set up good easy to follow directions.

da

I have to agree with d-a. I installed a rifle basix trigger in my remington and had it adjusted to a consistant 2.5 lb. pull in a matter of minutes, which was a relief after spending several hours trying to get the factory trigger down under 4 lbs. without it tripping when I smacked the side of the rifle.

In both of my Remingtons I was fortunate enough to get both to 2.5# without any problems. In my Savages (all pre Accutrigger) I have 2 Sharp Shooters supply triggers and one Rifle Basix.(hunting model)

The Rifle Basix come with all of the set screws in a bag and they need to be installed prior to installation and set after the trigger is installed. Instuctions are clear and illustrated, great for those of us that are all thumbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Once in it takes just a little tweaking and your good to go, total time about 20 mins.

The SSS trigger comes complete and ready to drop in. However, on some rifles the top of the bolt stop need to be ground down. (both of mine did) To avoid taking to much off they recommend grinding a little then try it. One rifle took me four tries the other three before I had enough clearance, so you get some practice installing and removeing the trigger before your done. total time 30-45 mins. depending how aggresively you grind.

I've only had the Rifle Basix to the range 3 times (around 50 rnds) but it every bit as nice to shoot as the SSS is. I'd be hard pressed to say that one was better than the other, both break clean and crisp with no creep.

Chris

Have to go with the Canjar, very smooth easy to install and the trigger is sweet can be adjusted to 1 pound and set by pulling the shoe forward, most of the time I don't set the trigger it is so smooth its not necessary. One problem is once its set you have to open bolt to unset it if you don't shoot. I have one so light I won't look at it when its set. I only set the gun just before the shot I am always surprised when she goes. They make them for Savage also.

I have several but highly recomend the Canjar single set it has been in operation for over 25 years only complaint it doesn't work well in extreme cold weather the set part that is, other part will work well...

Used several Timneys on Enfield P actions. Install very straight forward but you need to modify the hammer to work with the new trigger sear if you convert to cock on opening. The original hammer works fine.

Adjustments are just like a Rem 700 trigger group. Easy to adjust, hold settings well and a very light pull can be accomplished safely. Mine are under 1lb - they are not supposed to get that light but do.

I have only used one Shilen on a Rem700 and could never get rid of the creep. Install was easy but wouldn't consider it an ideal comp trigger group. Maybe just had a bad one.

I am now playing with Savages and love them. The SSS is a great trigger, very easy to install and adjust but can only get to around 1lb. Very crisp with no overtravel (or as much as you want). So far settings have not changed with a few hundreds rds fired.

An excellent varmint/LR hunting trigger group.

The Rifle Basix 2 is the most complicated trigger group to install. Not really difficult but I definitely need the CD instructions to get through it. There are no big issues but lots of little parts that need to go in the right place.

However, once installed, you are rewarded with a wonderfully light and crisp pull. You can get yours to around 4oz but it can vary with the height of your sear. One rifle was spooky light (actually made it heavy then min). Second rifle had to be made a bit heavier so that sear wouldn't skip.

Only thing I can see is the very low engagement of sear and trigger group. That is unfortunately a quirk of parts mixing. Each rifle will vary a bit.

I love having very light and crisp trigger for LR hunting and match shooting. The Rifle Basix 2 fills the bill every bit as good as a Jewel at 6 to 8 ozs.

Jerry

I bought a Shilen a few years ago. Had to dremel out the stock quite a bit to get it to clear the set screws. Had to adjust it myself. I can not see any real advantage over a 700 trigger. Have been adjusting my own 700 triggers for the last few years.

I always heard of how good the Jewells were so I finally broke down and bought one. It is one of them DUH smack yourself in the forehead why didn't I do this years ago things.Maybe other ones are similar but I can only comment on the difference between it and my 700/Shilen triggers.

It is the varmint model so you can still use the factory bolt release. It came with the heaviest spring of three installed in it, adjusts from 8oz to 4 lbs. It is factory set to a pound. Tap two pins out and put it in. I can't describe the pull....perfect maybe, I ain't messing with it. Two other springs come with it to take the poundage down to 1.5 oz if you want.

I'm very pleased with it, will be saving up for more.

Had a Timney put in a 1908 Mauser in 1966. The smith set it a little heavy for my liking. I adjusted it myself to my satisfaction and I thought it was great.

Shot out the Douglas barrel a couple of years ago. A different smith installed a Lilja bbl and did a bunch of other things.

One of the other things was adjust the trigger. It's light years ahead of the way I did it. Its now a great trigger instead of just a good one.

Canjar its hard to beat I have one on order, should be here soon I hope. Going on a Savage

Added a Rifle Basix LV-1 onto my 222.
Having never worked with a rifle trigger before, I was concerned about any safety screw-ups I might make. Turns out it really wasn't that big of a deal. The process took about 25 minutes. It didn't help when I forgot how to put the bolt stop and safety back together. Broke down my 308 and used that as my guide.
Cons: From the instructions sheet, Rifle Basix assumes you have a photographic memory of how all the parts fit together. They could do a better job in the photo illustrations department for beginners like myself.
This trigger broke consistently at 15oz measured with a Lyman digital gauge. Decided to buy another LV-1 for my 308 VSF. The trigger pull weight was all over the place and any amount of adjusting wouldn't solve the issue. Sent it back to the very helpful folks at Rifle Basix to have it checked out. It was sent back and I re-installed it. Same problem. Returned that trigger to Cabela's and got a 3rd one. Same issues as the 2nd trigger.
Kirby tried to solve the issues thru email and we couldn't figure it out. I returned the 3rd trigger to Cabela's and am looking at having a local smith install a Timney.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.