after market trigger

Dead Beat

i would like to get a after market trigger for my Remington VSL 700 something i could put in my self. around #1 1/2 pounds any advise would be appriciated

Thanks JIM

I would say either a Jewell (the best and most expensive) or maybe a Timney. You can adjust the stock Rem trigger to about 2 lbs safely, from what I've heard.

I have two Rifle Basix Trigger Remington 700 - 4 oz to 20 oz in my Kirby hope chest. I believe Kirby approved the purchase.

If you want to go to 1 1/2 lbs, the same thing is a bit cheaper HERE

ERV-3.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
a Jewell (the best and most expensive)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about as far from being a competent smith as you can get, but from what I've read Jewell may have a reputation for being the best BR trigger, but it's far from optimal for LRH, tactical and certainly in the range he's looking for ( 24 ox ).

Kirby has done trigger jobs on 6 guns for me (four rem 700's and two A-bolts) - all around 24 oz. I'm more than delighted with the triggers that came back (most were over 100 oz when I sent them).

For off hand, bi-pod, tree rest - a trigger job is the biggest improvement most folks can make to improve accuracy. (IMAO).

Even at 24oz the jewell is probably the best trigger. the Riflebasix seem to be inconsistent, I have one that is very good but goodgrouper has one that is not quite as good. I have heard good reports of the Shilen but dont own one myself. The Timneys are a down grade from the stock Remington trigger.
If you dont want to take it to a gunsmith you can buy a spring kit from darrel holland at 541-439-5155 and do it yourself.
As far as instructions to ajust your own the best description is in the July 2001 Varmint Hunter Mag. try varminthunter.org to see if they still have a copy.
UB

Why not just send your factory trigger out? It's a lot safer than "learning" on your rifle.

I've sent a few triggers to Neil Jones. He will rework your trigger and set the pull weight to anything (within reason) that you want for $50.

Just a thought

thanks for all the help everyone i did a google search and got all the info i needed to adust the trigger it was very easy to do.

its at 30 oz right now no creep and very crisp . i did all the safety checks like bouncing the butt stock of the ground and every thing the articles said to do

thanks again

thanks for all the info i got the remington trigger adjusted down pretty good . when i get back from wisconsin deer hunt ill get the new trigger. that will give some time to do some more research on it

Neil Jones is a wizard with the Rem 700 trigger. I have one that he took down to 18 ounces ---- passes the bump test and it has stayed the same since he did it about 4 years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.