after market trigger

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by Dead Beat, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Dead Beat

Dead Beat Well-Known Member

i would like to get a after market trigger for my Remington VSL 700 something i could put in my self. around #1 1/2 pounds any advise would be appriciated

Thanks JIM

2. Supermag

Supermag Well-Known Member

I would say either a Jewell (the best and most expensive) or maybe a Timney. You can adjust the stock Rem trigger to about 2 lbs safely, from what I've heard.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

4. Guest

Guest Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    a Jewell (the best and most expensive)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about as far from being a competent smith as you can get, but from what I've read Jewell may have a reputation for being the best BR trigger, but it's far from optimal for LRH, tactical and certainly in the range he's looking for ( 24 ox ).

Kirby has done trigger jobs on 6 guns for me (four rem 700's and two A-bolts) - all around 24 oz. I'm more than delighted with the triggers that came back (most were over 100 oz when I sent them).

For off hand, bi-pod, tree rest - a trigger job is the biggest improvement most folks can make to improve accuracy. (IMAO).

5. Dead Beat

is there any info on the net on how to adjust the the remington trigger

Jim

6. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

Even at 24oz the jewell is probably the best trigger. the Riflebasix seem to be inconsistent, I have one that is very good but goodgrouper has one that is not quite as good. I have heard good reports of the Shilen but dont own one myself. The Timneys are a down grade from the stock Remington trigger.
    If you dont want to take it to a gunsmith you can buy a spring kit from darrel holland at 541-439-5155 and do it yourself.
    As far as instructions to ajust your own the best description is in the July 2001 Varmint Hunter Mag. try varminthunter.org to see if they still have a copy.
    UB

7. Supermag

Supermag Well-Known Member

Yes, just google the subject. I wouldn't mess with the sear screw like some of them say to do.

8. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

9. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Why not just send your factory trigger out? It's a lot safer than "learning" on your rifle.

I've sent a few triggers to Neil Jones. He will rework your trigger and set the pull weight to anything (within reason) that you want for $50.

Just a thought

10. Dead Beat

thanks for all the help everyone i did a google search and got all the info i needed to adust the trigger it was very easy to do.

its at 30 oz right now no creep and very crisp . i did all the safety checks like bouncing the butt stock of the ground and every thing the articles said to do

thanks again

11. sniper2

sniper2 Well-Known Member

I have a Canjar single set trigger been working for over 25 years and is still great, just another option...

12. Dead Beat

thanks for all the info i got the remington trigger adjusted down pretty good . when i get back from wisconsin deer hunt ill get the new trigger. that will give some time to do some more research on it

13. DB Bill

DB Bill Well-Known Member

Neil Jones is a wizard with the Rem 700 trigger. I have one that he took down to 18 ounces ---- passes the bump test and it has stayed the same since he did it about 4 years ago.