Advice, or talk some sense into me please

The .300wm is never the wrong answer.gun)

If I were in his shoes I'd already be done breaking it in.:)

I'm the world's worst when it comes to talking myself out of a new rifle.

Aye Sir! I know exactly what you mean.

The .300 WM has been my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards for a while now. Load it with your favorite heavy high BC bullet and you're golden. :):Dgun)

Cheers!

Hi, JP hope you and the family are having a great Christmas! You have two young ones coming up and they will I hope become hunters also. You have so many possible ways to go. Now I love the .300 Winchester Magnum, it is a fantastic, elk, mule deer, and even sniper round however it does take some getting used to due to its recoil. I loved my .375 H&H for elk hunting in the western mountains of Wyoming however such a rifle is certainly not for everyone. What I am getting at is you need to decide for what purpose you want to use this new rifle for. A 6.5 Creedmoor with the right bullets can take anything from prairie dogs to elk with very moderate recoil at very extended ranges by young shooters comfortably as well as punch tight clusters in targets. Load a .300 Winchester Magnum with a Barnes 200 grain LRX with a ballistic coefficient 0.546 or a Nosler AccuBond Long Range 210 gr. with a ballistic coefficient of 0.730 and you can hammer larger animals at great distances with authority than a 6.5 Creedmoor can. It is all about what you are will to take in recoil to achieve in killing power on the animals end.

A new customer on the block making noise is the 30 Nosler falling in between the .300 Winchester Mag, and the .300 Remington Ultra Mag but without the Belt and spaces on the shoulder. Just a thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWl6qq9vUDM

What are you trying to achieve?

Well, that escalated quickly. My $9.78 rifle now has a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 with EBR-2B MOA reticle on the way. I just couldn't leave things alone...:rolleyes:

Get the .300 Win mag. There are SO many bullets available for it and you have the dies.

The Berger 230 gr. Hybrid bullets are absolutely the best long range .30 caliber bullet going. They will carry supersonic far longer than any of the other .30 cal. bullets. In fact the US Army is now having trials with that bullet for the new XM2010 sniper rifle. It will likely replace their 190 gr. Sierra MatchKing bullet.

But, hey, I'm biased, having a .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker and a .300 Win Mag Rem. 700 actioned stainless HS Precision target rifle.

I got into .300 Win mag because initially I was going to get the HS Precision rifle in 7 mm Rem. mag. but Neil Jones, a respected benchrest shooter and maker of precision reloading dies told me the .300 Win mag had such a huge selection of bullets as well as many manufacturers of bullets, both US and European the I should go with it. He was right.

And finally, the German army tested a wide range of ammo for their main sniper rifle and settled on the .300 Win. mag. And as we all know Germans are nothing if not very thorough.

Eric B.

WildRose- how do I send you a PM?
Not even Len can figure that one out. Something is busted in my settings and they can't find it.

They are supposed to be switching the site over to a new format in the not too distant future and hopefully that will fix it.

If you google "WildRose German Shorthairs" you can find me pretty easily.

What are those benefits?

-Twist to stabilize high BC bullets from the factory
-Throats that fit mag length with those bullets
-Match grade factory ammo @24$/box that utilizes some of the best longer distance hunting bullets available
-A case design that accounts for the lessons learned in the last 30 years
-And come 1st quarter '17 Lapua factory brass

Now that's not all marketing and hype. Surely you wouldn't call Lapua a fad chasing company.

-Twist to stabilize high BC bullets from the factory
-Throats that fit mag length with those bullets
-Match grade factory ammo @24$/box that utilizes some of the best longer distance hunting bullets available
-A case design that accounts for the lessons learned in the last 30 years
-And come 1st quarter '17 Lapua factory brass

Now that's not all marketing and hype. Surely you wouldn't call Lapua a fad chasing company.
Factory twist rates have nothing to do with the CARTRIDGE. Barrel yes, case no.
Throat has absolutely nothing to do with the CARTRIDGE. Barrel yes, case no.
Factory ammo @ $24 a box has nothing to do with the CARTRIDGE.
Case design is nice and efficient and the ability to seat to mag length is nice BUT most real LR stuff doesn't require a mag anyway and many setups will need something different anyway.
Brass availability is nice but the 6.5x47 has been LAPUA from the start and is probably a better design anyway in many respects.

The CREED is a nice little rig. I have one. It's not MAGICAL. About 30 other 6.5 rigs will do exactly what it does if you want, many will beat it in some areas and always will.

The CREED has been a great commercial success due to marketing, social media and a DECENT design and components. It doesn't mean its magic, the greatest design ever or the end all of 6.5 rigs. I have watched new HOT rigs fade away since the 264 WM came on the market. The Creed is here to stay but its just a piece of brass that you pour powder into and jam a bullet on top of.

Well, what factory chambered cartridge would you recommend to get those benefits if not a 6.5 Creedmoor? Nope the CARTRIDGE isn't MAGICAL, but as it turns out listening to the shooting community and supporting the products they want is pretty smart business. The 28 Nosler addresses some desires shooters have had, how's its popularity? What do you suppose it's popularity would be if Nosler made match grade ammo using tipped RDF bullets, a load of temp stable single base that consistently shot very well, and kept the price below $1.50ea? How about if Tikka and Kimber started chambering affordable accurate rifles to capture this market surge? Wouldn't I sound obtuse and archaic if I argued that it wasn't the cartridge but the barrel into which it's cut?

I get your point, but the fact is the same prioritization that lead to the case, lead to the twist, and lead to the loads.

Well, what factory chambered cartridge would you recommend to get those benefits if not a 6.5 Creedmoor? Nope the CARTRIDGE isn't MAGICAL, but as it turns out listening to the shooting community and supporting the products they want is pretty smart business. The 28 Nosler addresses some desires shooters have had, how's its popularity? What do you suppose it's popularity would be if Nosler made match grade ammo using tipped RDF bullets, a load of temp stable single base that consistently shot very well, and kept the price below $1.50ea? How about if Tikka and Kimber started chambering affordable accurate rifles to capture this market surge? Wouldn't I sound obtuse and archaic if I argued that it wasn't the cartridge but the barrel into which it's cut?

I get your point, but the fact is the same prioritization that lead to the case, lead to the twist, and lead to the loads.

No, you would sound like you actually knew what you were talking about... Instead of idiosyncratic supporter fairytales.

Why is this still an argument? This is a horse that's been beat to death way too many times. Is the creed magical? No. Is it a good cartridge? Yes it is but so aren't the 260 and 6.5X47L. Yes I do admit I was a fan boy at one time hence my profile name which I'd like to change. The reasoned I stayed with the Creed when I did my custom is because I do like the round and it fits better in the short action than the 260. Past that there's no difference. Can we please stop bashing each other just because some of us shoot the new Fad cartridge and some of use shoot the older school cartridge? Let time and the shooting public decide the fate of these rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.