Advice on Remmy 700

el matador

I have a 700 LSS that I really like the fit and feel of. It's a 270 WSM, also something that I like. The problem is I cannot for the life of me get it to shoot consistently under 1". It has been pillar/epoxy bedded, free floated (also tried with shims under the barrel) and I have tried every conceivable load on earth. Tried Norma brass, all different distances from lands, different bullets, powders, primers, you name it. I can shoot other guns under 1" consistently, so I know it's not all my shooting. It seems to me that a good gun should shoot MOST loads around 1" or so, with a good load grouping closer to 1/2-3/4". I'm convinced that this rifle will not do that. So my question is, where would you go from here? I do have limited funds, but I'm tired of being frustrated time after time at the range. I am considering getting a new rifle or having this one rebarreled and squared up. Rebarreling will cost around $750 and the gun itself is probably worth $700. So are there any guns around that would perform really well for under $1500? Right now I'm leaning toward sending it in to Hart for a slightly heavier than factory 26" barrel. This gun is used for backpack hunting so I don't want to go too heavy.

let some one else try it with the best load you have so far. sometimes the "frustration factor" kicks in and shooter error is magnified.

el matador

I seems to me that you have thought this problem through and are on the right track but I would put a known good scope on the gun first just in case. I've had similar issues as I have been working up loads for my 270 WSM since last Winter. I've had a hell of a time though maybe not quite as bad as you. Sometimes it would sort of shoot and then it wouldn't. All kinds of bullets and all kinds of loads. I aquired this rifle by buying a large shank "factory new" stainless 26" varmit coutour barrel off Numrich's site for $95. I mean for $95 bucks why not? (Don't answer that.)

Anyway, I stuck this barrel on my LRP Savage which had a 260 Rem no taper Savage factory target barrel on it. This has the HS precision stock with aluminum bedding block and shoots 0.5 MOA with the 260 barrel. Anyway, I couldn't believe it could shoot as bad as it did just by swapping barrels but the facts are the facts. To make a long story short, I ended up buying another of the same barrel for another $95 and stuck it on the action. That seems to have solved the problem. In initial testing, the worst it will shoot is 1.5" at 200 yards with either 150 grain Ballistic Tips or the Accubond Long Ranges.

So yeah, this is a long winded way of saying, I would put a custom barrel on your rig. I've got several and I am the limiting factor as to how well those rifles shoot.

Thanks for the advice. It seemed to be getting a little better with each improvement but my latest trip to the range was back to square 1. So maybe I should double check the scope, mounting screws, clean it really good, and try some loads that have produced ok in the past before giving up. I am still thinking a new barrel would be the best option. I have also thought about selling it and buying a Sendero or something similar...I just love the look and feel of the LSS though so a barrel might be the only way to go. Thanks again for the replies.

You may have a bad barrel. It happens. As suggested, put another scope on it that you trust. One that you know has no issues. If you still can't get the rifle to group well, then take it to a gunsmith and have him "borescope" the barrel. Most will provide this service for $5 to $10. see what he comes up with.

I bought a Rem model seven a few years ago. Spent close to the cost of a second rifle on bedding, change of stock, different loads & bullets, etc. Never got it to group better than 1.5 MOA. Finally, I took it to a smith. After spending about 15 minutes looking at the bore and cleaning it, he found several tight spots in the barrel using a tight-fitting patch. He was also able to see several "chatter" marks on the lands and in the throat area. He pronounced the barrel DOA.

I told him to send the rifle back to Remington to take a look at the barrel and a possible replacement. He laughed and said "Good luck". He called about one month later to let me know that Remington had sent the rifle back stating the barrel was shooting within specs. Lots of threads in here about the quality of Rem rifles. It is hit or miss with them. Better to find out now than waste more dollars on things that won't solve the problem.

In the end, I spun a Brux barrel on the action. Been shooting .5 to .75 MOA with 105 gr. Bergers ever since.

I've had the same problem with my 700 new stock base rings and scope a bunch of different loads still no luck with it. I just bought a savage 10p put an old crappy barska scope that was on the 700 I figured was the problem on it and it doesn't matter what I through down the tube it shoots 1/2 or better all day long and I can swap the tube myself. I think remington is going downhill in there quality control department

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.