Advice on reloader powders

I would suggest getting a "Propellant Profiles" book it talks about hundreds of powders and also gives load data. It is put out by Reloading magazine. nice book to have.

From Barnes load data:
1608926386476.png

I wasn't sure if could use the data from another bullet but I'm guessing as long as bullet weight is the same it should be a good base for astarting point. Is this correct? Would this the same with the Barnes all copper bullets?
I would say yes on the data for the same weight bullet for a "starting" point, but......would not recommend using it for a maximum load.

I'm running the 168berger in my 7 w/RL26. Very good es/sd with top speeds and very accurate in a 700P. I don't shoot it often and it may go down the road for other items but the combo is quite good. I'm at an easy 3030. It has a high node that is faster but here it behaves better with much less case head expansion.

I burn pretty much all the rl powders other than rl23 at present... The only reason I'm not on rl23 (and have only played with rl26) is that the other rl powders are simply that good. I burn rl22 in my kid's 7rem and my 300win. My 7stw eats rl25 or retumbo, my 300 rums eat rl25 or rl33 (sub in rl50 at a bit heavier charge), my 338win eats rl19, my 270 eats rl17 or 7828... I could go on for most of my rifles; I have as much rl powder on the shelf as the rest of the brands I use combined... I simply don't go for the last couple % on charge and I really don't deal with temp issues... Possibly a few fps loss dropping down to extreme cold, but I usually see this on even the temp stable brands too.
p.s. I head shot the deer in my avatar at 300+ yards with my 7stw using a 140 AB and rl25...

Last edited:
Shot this eastern WT Wednesday night at 100 yds using factory Barnes 130s in my factory Barrett 270.
slightly quartering to me. Entrance just anterior to shoulder and a 2.5 inch gapping whole on exit of contralateral shoulder. Made it 20 steps. Question is , when I take my once a year western hunt will Barnes work at 300 yards on a mule deer?
pS I have reloading capacityand alternative bullets to play with Till next year.

Attachments

• 29581339-6244-4913-943B-A5F7E8947D0C.jpeg
    29581339-6244-4913-943B-A5F7E8947D0C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 84
Shot this eastern WT Wednesday night at 100 yds using factory Barnes 130s in my factory Barrett 270.
slightly quartering to me. Entrance just anterior to shoulder and a 2.5 inch gapping whole on exit of contralateral shoulder. Made it 20 steps. Question is , when I take my once a year western hunt will Barnes work at 300 yards on a mule deer?
pS I have reloading capacityand alternative bullets to play with Till next year.
There is more than enough energy@ 300. With the extremely weak bc of the tsx much further you will have serious wind issues. If you used the LRX you would be similar to any cup n core bullet besides the Berger classic hunter. Move to the 140 classic hunter Berger and now you have legitimate 600yd with even a mild load of 3000fps. WIth Rl26 I run the 140 game changer at 3140. With slightly less bc at .515ish vs .535ish(I have not shot drops with this yet) I have similar ballistics as my 243 with the 105 amax at similar speed. The 270/140 combination would carry more energy than this

I wasn't sure if could use the data from another bullet but I'm guessing as long as bullet weight is the same it should be a good base for astarting point. Is this correct? Would this the same with the Barnes all copper bullets?
Don't uses data from a standard bullet to make data for a solid copper, copper makes more pressure in the barrel so you need to drop at least a grain in powder or use load data from the GMX to give you an idea where you should be for your LRX/TTSX

Same 2 bullets I tried recently, shoot to same poi as the 160 Barnes xlc that him is sighted for. I used 7828 for the new bullets and used the data from the bullet manufacturers. Shot well but I did not use chronograph To verify velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.