Advice on a new long range scope

Well price seems to be an issue? A FFP scope costs considerably more than
a SFP in the same model? Harder to build? or more in demand?
Nightforce C-545 Lists for $3100.00...FFP
Nightforce C-555 lists for $2700.00..SFP
Other than that they are the same scope...........

Last edited:
Well price seems to be an issue? A FFP scope costs considerably more than
a SFP in the same model? Harder to build? or more in demand?
Harder to build correctly. It really has not been in demand till recently. Many early german scopes were ffp and although they had far better glass in many cases people were underwhelmed by the reticle changing sizes.

Yes, the POI moves on SFP scope, always has. It is nothing new. I will not elaborate due to the endless amount of data that can be easily found with an internet search. The reason main reason for there are so many SFP scopes is cost. Until rather recently the cost difference between them was enormous. It used to be that you couldn't even buy a FFP for under $1500 used. With automation and technology now you can purchase one new for a few hundred dollars.

OK,
Brand new to this forum but not to shooting and all the attendant things associated with it.
So, hello.
Now to the question at hand and some bona fides- I own and use a myriad (more than 20) different weapons and many are used for precision work and I have a few different scopes, both FFP and SFP.
My experiences are that FFP was far more helpful prior to the advent of accurate laser distance measuring devices. They take time and experience to become really useful in the field - way longer than tossing up the laser to your eye and hitting the read button.
I defy anyone to be as accurate using a FFP as a laser range finder, cannot be done IME.
Buy a reliable range finder first, if you are adamant that you be shooting at undetermined ranges.
Then get a really good SFP like Nightforce or Zeiss or Loopy. Buy once cry once.

I own a number of less expensive scopes but they are on guns that don't get used outside of 200 yards or do not have the intrinsic precision that would warrant $2000 glass.
Good luck on your quest but remember that seeing the target is no guarantee that the rifle or the shooter is capable of hitting the target way out there.
If you are confident that you and the rifle are up to snuff then go ahead and buy the best glass you can afford even if it means eating beans for a while.

Gary

Interesting.... Why would anyone even own a SFP scope if POI changes at every power setting except the power used to zero the scope.

I'm new here, and don't know a whole lot about SFP versus FFP, but I find it hard to believe that a market even exists for a SFP scope if what you said above is true. Can anyone else elaborate?
I've never noticed a POI shift in any of mine, at least not one that was even noticeable. Then again, I always learn what the scope's magnification is preset for, and sight it in on that magnification. Example, most Vortex HST 6-24 scopes, the preset magnification is 18x. I own both FFP and SFP scopes, and prefer SFP.

Last edited:
Yes, the POI moves on SFP scope, always has. It is nothing new. I will not elaborate due to the endless amount of data that can be easily found with an internet search. The reason main reason for there are so many SFP scopes is cost. Until rather recently the cost difference between them was enormous. It used to be that you couldn't even buy a FFP for under $1500 used. With automation and technology now you can purchase one new for a few hundred dollars.
Are you saying the POI on the crosshairs moves at different magnifications? Or, are you saying the POI for the subtensions moves, as in if the user were trying to use those as holdovers when using a non-duplex (such as EBR, TMOA, etc.)? Certainly the subtensions used as holdovers would change at different magnifications, but do the actual crosshairs change POI at different magnifications? In all of the SFP scopes I've used, this has not been the case. Whether set at 3x or 15x or anywhere in between, my crosshairs were where my zero was set and where my impact ended up.

surprised given your budget no one has brought up the votex razer LH? I have one on my 280ai in 4.5-15 x44 and haven't had any issues. Actually took it of my 7 stw before I sold it.

I won't get in to great detail, once again a simple internet search will give you more information than you ever wanted. The center crosshair will stay the same, or should. But, that can very with the manufacturer as well. Every other type of dot, cross or anything else will be different across the magnification range.

Last edited:
I truly do appreciate the inputs guys... and again the price range you're all referring to isnt the point entirely yes it is a factor no I wont spend 2000 or 3000 on a scope as of yet but as to the direction of this post I'm looking for a relative quality and value for something somewhat reasonable I dont want to aimlessly pay a lot of money when the focus shouldn't be how much I'm spending on glass I guess but for something that will work and suffice the need that's the focus

Which brings me to the next point kinda brought up from the discussion if I did go SFP... I likely wouldnt be messing around with adjustments much at all inside of 300 yards maybe magnification but it wont be as similar to long range where I have time to set up in theory etc etc so... maybe SFP would still be on the table I'm still open to any scopes and style I do not need to use what I've always been using the point is to fit the job become accustomed to it and confident

At 1,000yds 10x is adequate for deer and antelope sized targets.

If you're serious about shooting beyond a thousand yards at small targets you're already in trouble with your choice of caliber. The BC's of 7mm rounds just don't lend to precision shooting much beyond a thousand yards. For that you really need to steip up to the .30 cal and larger diameter bullets.
Actually wild... I did take this into consideration and when that time comes I'll likely be moving off of the factory barrel with a proper twist to support the newer heavier bullets that have superior (per numbers and stats) performance over a 300 WM... I'm not a huge 30 fan I respect them but I like to come at things at a different angle than the mass herds and find my place to potentially come out ahead given the relative family of calibers but again hunting is primary purpose and I will further extend my abilities knowledge and development with this cartridge for my own personal reasons

Interesting.... Why would anyone even own a SFP scope if POI changes at every power setting except the power used to zero the scope.

I'm new here, and don't know a whole lot about SFP versus FFP, but I find it hard to believe that a market even exists for a SFP scope if what you said above is true. Can anyone else elaborate?
Been shooting high quality SFP scopes for decades and I've never seen it.

I won't get in to great detail, once again a simple internet search will give you more information than you ever wanted. The center crosshair will stay the same, or should. But, that can very with the manufacturer as well. Every other type of dot, cross or anything else will be different across the magnification range.
This clarification is better than your original post. Your previous post, to me, appeared to read that POI changes...period...at different magnifications. I think everyone already understands that the hash marks, etc change in a 2nd FP scope will vary at different magnification settings. I just didn't want the OP, or anyone else, thinking that POI changes. Once your scope is zeroed, as long as it holds zero, POI does not change for your zero regardless of the magnification. Again, thank you for clarifying your prior statement.

Been shooting high quality SFP scopes for decades and I've never seen it.
Exactly- I think some details are being left out. POI doesn't change. Break it down into a simple example- a duplex reticle. Zero is zero at any magnification range.

Now, when you start talking about using hash marks for hold overs, the holdover values change with adjustments to the magnification, but that has nothing to do with a shift in POI.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.