Advice on a new long range scope

Lets be clear here. A more expensive scope is not going to make you shoot better. If a Nikon Black is not hold poi then it is broke. All scopes break. What more expensive scopes provide is more features, durability, and better glass.

View attachment 117469
Midway has pst gen2 3-15x44 on sale right now for $675
These are nice with a great deal with the special EBR-2"D" reticle. I believe the "D" stands for "dealer" special. They had this in a 5-24x50 FFP. But those are gone now. When the 3-15x44s are gone that could be the last of them too. The ad actually says "one time offer"
I have a dealer special Nikon Buckmaster I got from Midway several years ago. It's great.

SWFA 3-15 has a set of turrets that track true. Glass is good enough to make a shot as far as you can make one. The reticle is a bit dated but it works. I have 2 gen1 pst's with the ebr 2 reticles. 6-24 and 4-16. Both have been fine for me. If they were not I'd ship them back and vortex will take care of it quite quickly in fact.
I also have a 4.5-14 F1 SHV with the MOAR reticle. I wish it had a tree it would be a great scope instead of just a good scope

I do hunt Maine, with a 7mm RM, and use a Vortex HD LH 3x15, shoot regularly to 500 yards, and have no problem with this scope. Turrets spin as they should and very repeatable. I would stretch it further if I had the room.

I have FFP and SFP. Why do you want FFP?

I do hunt Maine, with a 7mm RM, and use a Vortex HD LH 3x15, shoot regularly to 500 yards, and have no problem with this scope. Turrets spin as they should and very repeatable. I would stretch it further if I had the room.

I have FFP and SFP. Why do you want FFP?
Ffp due to your adjustments on elevation and windage are consistent no matter what magnification... SFP adjustments are made at a specified magnification usually near max

Hi, I have been looking into getting some new glass for my rifle. Primary purpose is for long range hunting deer elk antelope possibly black bear; but i will also use this for long range target for practice and fun. The gun it will be mounted to is a savage 111 trophy hunter XP 7mm Rem Mag

My price range isn't very high but I'm looking for something quality that will get the job done well.

Initially i was looking into the Nikon Black X1000 6x24 MOA but... it is 2NDFP and I'm probably looking for a FirstFP so I'm able to properly adjust for elevation and windage at any given range.

I've been looking into the Vortex PST as well... my primary question is between the GEN1 and GEN2.
I see they have minute differences and relatively similar quality in glass from what i understand correct me if I'm wrong please. Is the Gen2 truly worth the money above the cost of the Gen1? i believe both would suffice my needs well though.

I do not believe the HST is available in FFP any other suggestions or opinions? my bias is towards FFP a in the range of magnification power listed 5 to 25 and in MOA

Realistically I'm more comfortable spending 650 over 1000 as I've been dumping money at loading equipment.
I'll never spend another dime on a Vortex Viper PST. 3 of 5 that I bought would not zero or hold zero from the factory and a 4th wa so far off on it's tracking it wasn't worth mounting.

FFP won't help you shoot any better period unless you're trying to hit match heads at 200 yards or prairie dogs at a thousand which then get obscured by the crosshairs.

You'd be better off saving a little longer and buying something like the VX6 Leupold or Nightforce.

Magnification wise something in a 3-18 or 4-14 will be more than adequate for 99% of shooters including LR hunters.

i was a little concerned if i do travel back home to Maine for short range shooting at that power but this primarily will be for long ranges in arizona and for target 1000+ and i question if the 14-15x power is good enough.. im not an expert but was thinking along the lines of the more help i can get seeing my exact point im aiming the better?
At 1,000yds 10x is adequate for deer and antelope sized targets.

If you're serious about shooting beyond a thousand yards at small targets you're already in trouble with your choice of caliber. The BC's of 7mm rounds just don't lend to precision shooting much beyond a thousand yards. For that you really need to steip up to the .30 cal and larger diameter bullets.

Do you honestly think you would use the FFP to its full potential? When I am using my reticle properly, I'm at max power. In the age of exposed turrets and range finders, it seems most people dial up to a known distance now. I use my reticle when I'm out to distance but when I'm doing that I'm at max power.

Do you shoot many FFPs currently? I run a few of them, and for snap shots at short hunting distance, I've found myself looking for the reticle rather than looking at my target.

Get what you have confidence in my friend, I'm sure whatever you choose will work very well for you. You are doing plenty of good research.

To those that are questioning the op's preference of FFP.
Have you shot your rifle on different magnifications to see what your offsets are? Every sfp made has a shift of impact when you change power. Before you say well I have a top end scope or whatever. Your moving the magnifier in front of the reticle. Because of that the light is bent differently and it changes the point of impact. The higher the zoom ratio the more it can move. It can be mitigated to a degree but it will have an offset to the zero you set on a different power.

Look for a deal on a used Burris xtr ii 4x20 or 3x15 on the optics classified forum. Very good glass and repeatability. Can be had used for $650 to $800.

To those that are questioning the op's preference of FFP.
Have you shot your rifle on different magnifications to see what your offsets are? Every sfp made has a shift of impact when you change power. Before you say well I have a top end scope or whatever. Your moving the magnifier in front of the reticle. Because of that the light is bent differently and it changes the point of impact. The higher the zoom ratio the more it can move. It can be mitigated to a degree but it will have an offset to the zero you set on a different power.

Interesting.... Why would anyone even own a SFP scope if POI changes at every power setting except the power used to zero the scope.

I'm new here, and don't know a whole lot about SFP versus FFP, but I find it hard to believe that a market even exists for a SFP scope if what you said above is true. Can anyone else elaborate?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.