Advice for scope mounting Ruger #1

Highbrass

I have a Ruger #1in 7Rem mag and I'm not sure of the specific model iteration but it has the Ruger mounting (ramp / Rib).
I currently have a set of 1" low rings (Leupold I think) with the rear offset. The scope is an Athlon Talos 4-16 1"
It seems to work ok as far as eye relief and clearance.
I am selling a Browning BAR that has a Burris Veracity 30mm 3-15 that I would like to swap to the Ruger.
I think I can match the 1" rings but at a taller height in 30mm and keep the Ruger mount.
I see that EGW has a #1 picatinny replacement mount that should fit my rifle ( yes I measured from EGWs print)
This seems to solve a couple of issues and gives me more mounting options and better eye relief.

So I need someone with experience here...
Is it worth it to go to a bigger scope or am I wasting time ?

I used a 4 power scope on my ruger #1 in 375 H&H out to 200 yards. I guess it really depends on what your using it for

The scope is dependent on what you like.

I like the rail. EABCO makes one for the quarter rib I've used and liked.

Oregunsmithing made a replacement rail for me. I like the option of losing the quarter rib.

It seems I remember something about the quarter rib is best only touching the barrel, if it is a bit longer it will also touch the receiver and can wreak havoc on accuracy?

Why not just use the Ruger type rings if the scope has enough tube length to handle it and actually be back enough? I've got hundreds of full throttle 338 win's through my Ruger #1 and while I DID replace the rings, I could have gotten by just replacing the cap screws (straight blade- old style) but had freebie rings from my brother.

I have used double extended Ruger rings (about $40, each ring) with the Ruger quarter rail. I have also drilled & tapped into a custom barrel having a long cylinder shank and mounted a sawed-off (hack saw) aluminum pic rail & epoxy bedded to position scope with turret between each ring. A 40mm-44mm objective 4.5-14X, or 4-16X scope having a long mounting area would work out good. Using double extended rings enables correct eye relief. Ruger #1 stocks have low combs and mounting scopes with large objective lens like 50mm makes for an excessively high mounted scope having a poor fit with the low comb stock. Replacement Ruger #1 stocks having high combs are a challenge to fit real nice. Camming slightly oversize ammo into chamber is a no-go in comparison to a bolt action.

Not much confidence here for dependable long-range accuracy & quick follow up shooting from Ruger #1's. Nice to look at but expensive to buy and improve. Stock replacement is a burden. I sold mine with no regrets. Filing open the extractor/ejector, slot/opening was an expensive chore included in the re-barrel job. I have to admit my knowledge of today's CNC machining is limited and a CNC process would make the ejector/extractor operation quicker & cheaper.

Last edited:
I had a 7RM and had some issues. Mark Penrod is recognized as one of the top Ruger No 1 smiths. He highly recommended get rid of rib especially on mags and go to bases/rings. He custom machines bases to your No 1.

If you need a Ruger No 1 smith, highly recommend. Unpretentious and just an all around nice guy. He has helped me through a couple glitches I ran into on my own builds. If you think you are going to call him, send me PM and if you want a referral. He is that busy.

Mark Penrod
Penrod Precision
312 E College Ave,
North Manchester, IN 46962
Phone: 260-982-8385
Email:[email protected]

I sent my Ruger #1b 300 win mag to Jim Brockman years ago. Had him remove the quarter rib, and mill a set of steel Talley QD bases. Has been a rock solid set up for 15 plus years using steel Talley QD (screw not lever) rings.

I used the Ruger rings with a 50 mm scope bell and it fits right up to the mounting bar , it's great for 3 to 8 power but any higher 12 power you literally have to climb up on the stock to get a full sight pic. The scope is a Luepold no parallax so it can only br adjusted at the scope ring. I would need to go with higher rings and a smaller objective. Thanks for the Penrod Precision

Couple things ...

I did go bigger with a scope and put a Leupold FireDot 3-10X in 30mm rings, likely needed high rings ...I forget.

For the quarter rib, there are things you can do to prevent any issues. First off, they bolted it down TIGHT, which they can cause issues as the barrel heats up. I remove it (it is a bear, use heat... ) and slot the forward mount hole so that the rib can move under heat. Works like a charm!

That and a nice DIY trigger job and she'll shoot! Oh, mine too is a 7mm Rem Mag with a to die for wood stock on it.

For the quarter rib, there are things you can do to prevent any issues. First off, they bolted it down TIGHT, which they can cause issues as the barrel heats up. I remove it (it is a bear, use heat... ) and slot the forward mount hole so that the rib can move under heat. Works like a charm!
Lift the bench it's attached to tight. Heat almost an absolute.

Ruger rings didn't used to be known for their precision. Don't know if that has changed or not, but I'd be in favor of a solution that eliminates them. The Penrod base sounds like just the ideal part.