Adjustments to load after adding muzzle brake

carpetman2

I just added a muzzle brake and have several loads developed over the past 4 years. Is there an average rule to re-dial my loads, such as it will most likely use less powder or more powder? And seating depth should not change , right? Just looking to cut to the chase if I can.

When I added a brake to my gun it didn't change anything. The load that I had previously developed was still tight, and the point of impact did not change. I do not know if this is the norm though.

Generally speaking if you add a brake to a custom barrel (not a factory barrel) you should see only a minor shift in point-of-impact if any.

A muzzle break is an added mass on the end of the barrel, so it will change the vibrational properties of the barrel for sure. Whether that has any substantial impact depends on whether it causes a shift in the timing of the shock wave that travels through the barrel at the point the bullet is leaving the muzzle and you probably have a 50/50 chance that it will.

If the POI shifts, all you should have to do is find your new powder charge accuracy node which may be higher or lower than it was before. There should be no reason to change your seating depth since the MB does not change the throat...

Mine is on a factory barrel and your correct, the new accuracy node seems to be .4 grains less. We shall see if I can continue to duplicate. Thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts