Adding 15moa to LW talley rings

There are different schools of thought.
A) The $100k Mausers going to Africa have Silver Solder under the scope bridge.
B) The $2k Rem700 sniper rifles have epoxy under the scope mount(s).
C) Some guys just tighten the screws to get the bases to bend a little closer to the receiver shape, and lapp out the ring holes.
D) Some guys just screw on the mounts and screw on the scope.
E) Sometimes I just TIG weld steel rings directly to the receiver, with fixtures to get the scope bore parallel to the bolt bore.

I like epoxy. Each 6-48 screw at 50% efficiency will snap off at ~ 500 pounds of axial thrust.
Expensive Devcon or cheap Bondo will both have compression yeild of ~ 20kpsi.
So we need at area of epoxy .15" x .15" for every screw, and have ~ 50 times that much.

The epoxy with release agent will have a fit that conforms to within 0.0001".
Machined surfaces with complex shapes never fit that well.

I bore sight fixture the epoxy under the bases with rings tight on a scope. That way I can get the base(s) epoxied in the right place. I want centered scopes to go quickly with rings from one of my rifles to the next an be stress free and nearly sighted in.

Here is a pic of an M39 with octagon receiver. I have milled out a female octagon on the underside of an M16 riser mount. To mate the two, there is a layer of epoxy that can be seen.

Attachments

• M39.jpg
    M39.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 91 30 scope mount TIG welded.jpg
    91 30 scope mount TIG welded.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 93
Guys thanks for the great info. I just spoke with Talleys rep and he said that they had never tried and don't expect to deal with machining MOA into a matched set of their light weight rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.