Ideas for adding weight to a HS stock?

KDB

Ok, this may sound like (or actually be) a stupid question, but I want to add some wieght to my HS stock. The rifle is barrel heavy and sicks like a mule and some extra mass would help.

I have noticed that my HS stocks seem to be hollow in the rear which got me thinking about cutting off the butt pad and trying to add some lead to it via a hole that I would drill into the base of the stock.

My question is how would the stock be affected by the molten lead? Would it melt, soften or warp the stock before it cools and solidifies? Any other practical ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

You could kill two birds with one stone by installing one or two recoil reducers.

Edwards Recoil Reducers           The First and Still The Best

A little more spendy than adding lead, but it might be worth the benefit of less recoil.

There are a number of them one the market. Do a google, or maybe one of the smiths will chime in with an opinion.

-MR

First, I have NOT tried this yet, but I've heard you can mix lead shot in epoxy and put it in the stock under the pad. Sounds simple enough. I don't know if there are any tricks to this.

Thanks for the ideas. Do the Edwards reducers really work? How much do they offset felt recoil.

I am shooting a 300 RUM and the rifle combo weighs about 16lbs. I am not flinchy to recoil but shooting 190's at mid 3400's, it kicks pretty hard and the balance is off because the 28 inch heavy varmint krieger tube makes it want to tip of the front rest. All reason why I wanted to add some wieght to the rear.

Ok, this may sound like (or actually be) a stupid question, but I want to add some wieght to my HS stock. The rifle is barrel heavy and sicks like a mule and some extra mass would help.

I have noticed that my HS stocks seem to be hollow in the rear which got me thinking about cutting off the butt pad and trying to add some lead to it via a hole that I would drill into the base of the stock.

My question is how would the stock be affected by the molten lead? Would it melt, soften or warp the stock before it cools and solidifies? Any other practical ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

It is not a stupid question.

Adding weight to a HS stock can be a lot of trouble if done wrong.

Lead is not the answer because it would take a lot to fill the void and end up weighing to
much and the ballance would be off if you didn't fill it all the way up.

And having to cut the recoil pad off can be problematic so what I have done in the past is
just replace the stock with a laminated one and save the HS for a lighter build.

"OR" drill a 1/4 inch hole through the center of the recoil pad into the void and mix up some
epoxy/devcon (Not the gel type) and pour some in with the fore end faceing down until you
get the desired weight. You may have to fill the entire void but at least you can place some
in and let it cure and if it is not enough then add some more,

It is not easy to poor threw the 1/4 inch hole but it can be done. and when your through you
will only have a small hole in the recoil pad that can be filled with a rubber plug if it bothers
you.

You can use 2 holes and force the devcon through one and vent through the other.

Be sure and tape anything that you don't want the epoxy to get on.

This process adds the right amount of weight and dampens the hollow sound of the HS and
other composites with hollow butt stocks.

J E CUSTOM

Not sure if its different or not, but my HS stock that was on a Remmy was glued on, just throw it in the freezer and grab the pad with a pair of channel locks and it comes right off. My "recoil pad" was a piece of rubber a little over 1/4" thick. Put on a LimbSaver instead... But once you get that recoil pad off there is a huge cavity you have access too , no need to drill holes....

Some really good ideas...Thanks!

I wonder if I could use a solid steel slug (bar stock), cut to the desired weight, then epoxy it into the hollow void? That way I can control the wieght and balance of the butt stock by the placement of the slug in relation to the voided area.

Novaman64: How big is the void in your stock?

Does anyone see any potential issues with this idea?

Keep em comming!

Thanks for the ideas. Do the Edwards reducers really work? How much do they offset felt recoil.

I am shooting a 300 RUM and the rifle combo weighs about 16lbs. I am not flinchy to recoil but shooting 190's at mid 3400's, it kicks pretty hard and the balance is off because the 28 inch heavy varmint krieger tube makes it want to tip of the front rest. All reason why I wanted to add some wieght to the rear.

I have never used a reducer, but if I had a more powerful dedicated bench shooter I would definitely consider putting in at least one and maybe two and exchanging the factory pad for a limbsaver in the process. It would make shooting a whole lot more enjoyable.

There are few different makes, so if you're considering one, check around and get some feedback from guys that use them.

-MR

Did you ever think of useing mono silicone caulking? I didn't do it to a HS stock but I have done it on several factory hollow stocks, it stays mushy and eats some recoil and vibration as well. It also deadens the sound of a hollow stock very well. I filled the cavity on the back of the stock on 3 of my rifles, that also had heavier barrels installed and had the same ballance problem. If thats not enough weight you could drop in some small lead weights till you get it right. No problem sith the mono eating the synthetic stock, just fill her up and put the recoil pad back on.

KDB, If there is space behind the pad,add weight till your satisfied(leadshot,sinkers). Take them out and vac-pak in plastic.Put back in stock and seal them into the stock void with silcone calk.Allow to dry and replace pad. If you use an epoxy it will be hell to remove. Dskiper

I used lead shot mixed with silocone gasket material. Hardens and keeps the lead in place, alos easier than solid to remove if you want.

Mike

Did this with my stock. Cut off the recoil pad with a band saw- glue would not let go when frozen. Added # shot until I got the right weight. Just cover with duct tape as you adjust the weight. When I got to where I wanted it, I mixed the shot into spray foam and let it expand to fill the hole. Trimmed the foam then Accra-glassed the recoil pad back on.

First, I have NOT tried this yet, but I've heard you can mix lead shot in epoxy and put it in the stock under the pad. Sounds simple enough. I don't know if there are any tricks to this.
epoxy would be permanent..
or atleast very hard to remove.

I used lead shot mixed with silocone gasket material. Hardens and keeps the lead in place, alos easier than solid to remove if you want.

Mike
just recently did the same. used clear silicone, and some #9 birdshot. worked very good. was able to add 1 -1.5# to my cheap synthetic stock...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.