Actions for .338 Edge build? beginner needs help

Highridge I reallized where you are located. You're right in our country deals are hard to come by but do happen. I have family back east and in the big cities deals can be had. I just got three mk5 synthetics at a small town wall mart back east while visiting for christmas. They had them on clearance for over two years and couldn't sell them. I started to buy them last year but didn't so this year when they were still there I went in and talked to the manager about dumping the worthless wby's he couldn't sell. They had marked them to $400 or so and I offered him $1000 for the three he had so he could get them off the books and have some cash flow out of them. He thought about it while I shopped and later came and got me and said those things have been there for nearly four years and he had no takers so he accepted my offer.

I went by a garage sell one morning back east and ask the little old lady if she had any guns to sell. She said her late husband had a few and she carried me inside to look. I immediately noticed a German made MK 5 in mint condition and ask what she wanted for it. She said she thought it should be worth at least $300. I pulled out three $100 bills and thanked her. Just got to keep your eyes open and be willing to deal. But where we live away from the big cities I agree with you deals are hard to come by.

I can go on and on just on deals the past three or so years. Last year my brother found a Z6 Swarovski 3-18 or so power scope at a small town pawn shop. He dickered with them for about a week and ended up getting it for $500 like new.

Last edited:
Hi guys I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd see if anyone could help me out I'm wanting to build a budget light weight 338 edge on an old howa 300 win mag . I'm planning on 28 inch barrel finished at .75 .also hoping the houge stock will be ok until I can afford a McMillan stock. Also if anyone had any tips for me in regards to building on a howa action I would be very grateful

The Vanguard will make you a great rifle cheap since you have a deal on one. The Howa action is very good. If you seriously want to go to 2000 yard shooting I think you need to look at a custom action and getting a cartridge much better suited for that purpose. When you start shooting that far velocity gains are critical to give you a little wider range of hits because you may not can get dead on with the range unless you have a very expensive rangefinder. For instance when you go from the low end of big 338's at 2800 or so fps like the ultramag case and standard lapua to 3100+ fps like the imroved 378 case or excalibur you increase the precious few yards you must be in to get a kill hit. In other words you may have only a 10 yard window at 1500 yards with the 338-300 RUM that increases several yards with a big 338. The 338-416 improved was very popular for years but I don't mention it any more because the Excalibur brass is easy to get with no fireforming and a little more case capacity.

The 338-300 RUM is a great cartridge but at the range your talking about you may want to step up into a rifle more capable. Say at 1500 yards to hit a 12" kill zone the 338-300 may drop that much in ten or so yards meaning you must hit the range dead on to give you any chance for a kill. A big 338 gives you a precious few more yards to remain in the kill zone. It is very difficult to shoot extreme range with many things to consider. The first is your cartridge choice to give you the best opportunity for success.
Loop koi ï8uu<>u<&&

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.