action stock and barrel question

For a qualified gunsmith it would be super simple. The stock for the PSS will accept the PSS barrel and it is already threaded for that action so headspacing and skim bedding as well as any truing work you wish to have performed would the only neccessity (negating any custom recoil lugs ect). I ahve a great gunsmith that builds all my rifles who can do a quick turnaround on that job.

Longrangegunner52,

As a gunsmith, this is definately a doable job. But to say it would be simple is a little bold.

It could possibly be easy if the headspace happened to turn out to be a little long with the new barrel/action combo.

In this case, you simply turn the barrel shoulder back until the headspace is correct and then make the corresponding alterations to the barrel face, and bolt nose recess in the barrel to allow proper clearance when the bolt is locked down.

This would be the easy way.

If the headspace measurement is short, then more work could possibly be needed. If it is only a few thousands short, it is a simple matter to turn the bolt locking lugs down a couple thousands to set the bolt back and increase headspace measurements to within spec.

If you need to increase the headspace measurement significantly, you will need to have the chamber deepened with a chambering reamer and this is more involved. Easy but more involved.

I have fitted together rifles like the one you discribe in as little as 20 minutes but some have takes several hours to fit correctly.

I am probably more critical on getting min headspace measurements then some smiths as many will get within 0.010" to 0.015" and call it good, I want to get the measurement within +/- 0.001" of zero in a bolt action.

So yes it can easily be done, but it can be a more significant project them many think. Us gunsmiths just usually do not tell you that.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Any quality smith will be able to fit a take off barrel pretty easily I would hope. Its just a matter of getting the headspace adjusted into spec.

I would charge $40-$50 for such a job if it went together without the need to deepen the chamber.

If the chamber had to be lengthened, the price may hit $100 tops.

One thing about fitting take off barrels to donor actions is that if they have open sights, they will not line up straight unless the barrel is set back and the barrel is indexed to position the sights correctly, then the barrel is rechambered.

I guess its possible for thing to come together where the sights would be straight, I have never seen this.

Most these days have no use for the open sights so I generally just fill the holes with plug screws and am dime with it.

Any gunsmith in your area should be able to do this job but without knowing the smith, who knows.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.