Action recommendation for 338 Lapua Improved

montana_native

What are some actions that can handle this round? If I have to go custom, I was thinking the Lawton 8500. Just wondering if there is anything more cost effective.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what the Lawtons are running these days. I recently talked with two different smiths about my 338LM Improved build and they both recommended the STiller Preditor Extreme or its tactical cousin, the TAC338.

The Stiller site shows them both at $875.00 retail including a .300 pinned recoil lug. Your smith may provide one to you for less than that....

You can always go to a Surgeon XL, which is built like a friggin tank, including integral scope rail and recoil lug. Costs more up front, but when you include the cost of the rail and the oversized lug, its about teh same as a custom action + the other parts as an extra.

JeffVN

Mine are built on a Python, Super Predator-no picatinny and a Mark V. The big Predator is the way to go for a repeater imho.

Hi Spanners,
Dunno what theyre worth over your neck of the woods but these are something else!
Have a look at mine in the gun photo (Barnard 338 LM)section and even on youtube having a mud bath!
They are only single shot in the PL but Im pretty sure that a repeater version is coming soon

www.barnard.co.nz

Regards 300WSMAD

Mine is on a Stainless Mark V and cycles great both loaded and empty cases. The Weatherby does not need much modification and is a strong action too.

Jeff

Hi Spanners,
Dunno what theyre worth over your neck of the woods but these are something else!
Have a look at mine in the gun photo (Barnard 338 LM)section and even on youtube having a mud bath!
They are only single shot in the PL but Im pretty sure that a repeater version is coming soon

www.barnard.co.nz

Regards 300WSMAD

Hiya.
My neck of the woods is the same as yours :)
I have considered the Barnard, but they are HEAVY! :(
I'm really wanting something with a Rem pattern.. and without the weight...

Hi Spanners, Sorry about that I didnt see that you were from NZ.

Heres another angle for you! You can use a Barnard P action with a Mag bolt face and chamber it for 300-338 RUM aka 338 Edge, One is being built by Trueflite soon, as soon as they have the reamer from PTG,and the advantage 300-338 vs 338 LMI would probably bugger all.

As for weight personally I like wouldnt like mine any lighter than what it is( 7 kgs), for recoil sake, and if you go for a reasonable barrel profile and length thats going to get the weight up there no matter how light your action is.

Either way these big guns a great fun all the best for the build,Im sure any top end action will give you what you want.

Regards 300WSMMAD

Last edited:
It is hard to beat a BAT action for this round, like their slogan says "buy the best and cry once".
UB

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.