338 Lapua Improved

Erik Kiser

I'd like to go try some Retumbo in the morning in my 338 Rogue. I have a few bullets but want to try the Hornady 285's with Fed 215 primers. My rifle is a single shot so bullets are seated out pretty far. Would starting around 97 grains and working up in .5 grain increments to 100 grains seem about right. I can stop at any point in the string if I see pressure signs but I'd like to load these up in the ballpark so it's not a complete wasted trip to the range.
I'm not one to chase every FPS. I'd rather be easy on cases and it shoot good than chase the last 50 FPS. Thanks!

It's just one version of a 338 Lapua Improved. 37.5° shoulder if I remember correctly. I built it about 8 years ago and probably have 100 rounds through it. Most with RL33 and 300 Berger's. It acts like it wants to shoot but I've been trying to narrow down a miss. Seems to always put the first and the third shot in roughly the same hole. Second shot is always the flyer. No matter the load. I've changed the scope and mount. Possibly me but I've never had that issue with a rifle before. Trying a different powder and bullet now. May even try a different primer. All my firings so far have been Fed 215's

For me (338 LMAI 40 degree) I started seeing signs of pressure with 99 grains of Retumbo and the 285 ELD. I believe I have about a .020 or so jump. It was a very good load, however I did have a little better luck with VV N570. To me it is THE powder for this cartridge.

It's just one version of a 338 Lapua Improved. 37.5° shoulder if I remember correctly. I built it about 8 years ago and probably have 100 rounds through it. Most with RL33 and 300 Berger's. It acts like it wants to shoot but I've been trying to narrow down a miss. Seems to always put the first and the third shot in roughly the same hole. Second shot is always the flyer. No matter the load. I've changed the scope and mount. Possibly me but I've never had that issue with a rifle before. Trying a different powder and bullet now. May even try a different primer. All my firings so far have been Fed 215's
Wish I could help. I shoot RL33 with 285s and 300s. Around 104-106 grains. Great accuracy as well. Running right at 3000 fps with a 29" barrel. 338 LM Imp. 40°

Erik, you might play with seating depth. In my experience when you have a load that shows promise but has semi consistent fliers, it's fairly often a depth tuning issue. It might be worth keeping your current load and seat deeper in increments of .005-010 and see what happens.

Last edited:
Throat length and any borerider throat matters a lot. With 300 gr Im using 105 gr N570 or 112 gr of newer slow RL33 which is 4 gr slower than prior lot. 2970 n570, 3050 rl33. I could shoot 94 retumbo in Std Lapua. You may get up to 104 depending on throat. Id start 97 and go up a grain at a time and stop at 2970-3000 fps or any sign of pressure.

I found n570 more consistent. Getting 7 shot groups with 2" of vertical at 1000. Mild load retumbo may be the same if not pushed.

For me (338 LMAI 40 degree) I started seeing signs of pressure with 99 grains of Retumbo and the 285 ELD. I believe I have about a .020 or so jump. It was a very good load, however I did have a little better luck with VV N570. To me it is THE powder for this cartridge.
Try a seating depth COAL of 3.75 also for the 285s...just cause!😉

Also you can try 300 gr SMKs. or 250 smk If your gun doesn't like them...chances are it won't like anything alot!
Mine loves both the 285s and 300s. I broke the rifle in with 250 Nosler partitions it because I got them for a smokin price second hand and planned on using them here in state for whitetails. The 230 ELDX bullets shot fairly well also. Both using much less powder for whitetail loads. Right around 3000 fps. Haven't really had any bullets that didn't shoot well at this point. Still playing but will end up with the Berger's no doubt.

My Weatherby Tac Mark wouldn't shoot the 285s well and I didn't waste anytime trying. 300 smks and 250 Hornady BTSP...yes. My new Savage Elite Precision 30" barrel...is incredible with all three...but really shines on the 250s...plain 338 lm. both!