Achieving a Dream - Best Gunsmith school to go to in the Western States

First things first thank you sir for your time and dedication to keeping bad guys off the streets and to your parents also!
I'm not a gun smith by any account but I'm kinda in the same boat . My wife to has worked herself through college while I've been away chasing drilling rigs . As she raised the young men that are now growing up to quick . God bless you and yours and good luck with your endeavors.

Trinidad State Jr. College in Trinidad, CO. And you're not too far from the Whittington Center just outside Raton, NM.

Sorry for the long back story, if you want to just cut to the chase, skip to the bold paragraph.

So my wife finished up her Associates RN Degree (nursing), and we are now working towards getting her a BSN, we have about a year until that is done. During that time she will work at an acute care center, and god willing, in a year and a half to two years she will get accepted into a CRNA program and after roughly 3ish years of that, she will have her Doctorates Degree in Nurse Anesthesiology.

I am currently employed in Law Enforcement with a little over 5 years in. When my wife goes into her CRNA program, we are going to have to sell our house and move where ever her school is, and I am going to have to resign my full time job to be a full time stay at home dad with our 3 young kids (currently 6, 4, and 2-1/2 months), and live modestly off of a student loan and part time work, as the CRNA programs are very intensive, and she would not be able to work and go to school, will constantly be on call, and we could not afford constant daycare for the 3 years. We were barely able to get by for the 3 years while she was full time schooling for her ASN with only my income, I don't know if we could do it with a much more intensive schooling.

It is going to be a very long road, but we will get there. When we do, we will move back to Wyoming, and our financial situation will be very comfortable compared to what we have grown accustomed to. She is extremely grateful that I am willing to make such a huge sacrifice for our family so that she can achieve this, and she asked me if I could do anything, regardless of income or cost to achieve it, what would I want to do. Well, that was an easy choice. I would like to work on and build custom firearms. My wife told me to start looking into how to achieve that, so that after her schooling, I can go to a trade school to learn smithing. So here I am, one of the best resources I know of to talk to some of the best gunsmiths in the world. It seems that one day, my dream may become a reality.

I have a fair bit of knowledge with woodworking, fitting, bedding jobs, load development, fine tuning rifles for accuracy, some light fabrication, and I am pretty good with my hands and pay attention to detail, but I am a far cry from anything resembling a gunsmith. Also, I have exactly zero knowledge on running a metal lathe or mill. I need a great trade school to look in to, so that I can get the hands on experience I would need to get on my feet after I graduate as a professional gunsmith. I would like to hear from people that have attended and graduated gun smithing schools, to hear the pros and cons of the school/schools you attended, so that I know a few good options to look in to. I would prefer ones in the western states, so that it would minimize the amount of time/distance from my home state of Wyoming. Any first hand insight will be greatly appreciated.

A big reason we are going to all this trouble is to prove something to our children. My wife and I both come from modest backgrounds, as do our parents, and I appreciate that every day of my life, our families have survived solely by hard work. But with all the laziness, self entitlement, and arrogance that floats around in today's society everywhere you look, we want to show our children first hand, that no matter what obstacles stand in your way you can achieve anything through hard work, sacrifice, and determination. The long road of trials will look much shorter once we are at the end. I could go on more on this subject, but I have already turned a forum post into a novel.

Thanks to everyone for any help. God bless and take care.
Well I can tell you this CRNA program it's going to require a minimum of one year of intensive care unit cardiovascular intensive Care unit surgical intensive Care unit experience. Having been accepted to school and declined it is a fantastic experience and of course depending what she does a good income. Typically somewhere between 95 and 145000 a year. I looked at that as my very first option when I started school and after getting my bachelor's degree that was my goal and unfortunately slipped into the emergency room and never was able to find my way out. I would say that the program she is looking at for CRNA is going to require two and a half years with no work on the side. As far as support obviously many of the anesthesia groups what actually pay her debt off for her if she comes to work for them for a 5 years or more. The income is really good and typically starts at a hundred and five to about a hundred and thirty thousand a year. Not a bad income and definitely one that I was interested in and then fortunately it's a pay cut for my current position. It does offer great scheduling potential and the work is relatively easy but requires a little math. I would strongly recommend that she has more time before she applies. I cannot honestly expect her to be accepted into the CRNA program with a year's experience. The odds are definitely against her but not impossible. My acceptance was based on 8 years experience. And with so many people applying for that particular degree the competition is immense. If you have further questions or need details give me a PM.

I graduated almost 26yrs ago from the 2yr gunsmithing program at Montgomery Community College at Troy, N.C. At the time, it was one of the few that still taught stock making by hand from a blank. That was one of the reasons I choose that school. Over the years, I have been fortunate enough to meet graduates from some of the other schools. I can say this, you will get out of the learning experience with what effort you put into it. Some of these grads I have met have been darned sharp. A few I wouldn't let mow the yard! I think any of these established, in-residence schools would be a much better choice than learning on your own or by "apprenticing" with a working 'smith that has no formal education or certification (such as being a ACGG Member). The gunsmithing trade is awash in myth and mystery. Mostly because of people trying to figure it out for themselves and coming to not so right conclusions or by just repeating what they have heard. I had 16yrs of "job shop" machining experience before I enrolled in school. I had already been making a living tooling, setting-up and operating lathes, mills of all kinds and precision grinders. I knew how to "lay-out" a job from 'scratch'. I approached school like I was learning a new job. I was there to 'soak-up' as much as I possibly could. 2 yrs ain't enough! I have learned SO much more in the past 26yrs. I have never worked for a gunshop, I have always worked for myself. I can not imagine working for someone who owns a gunshop, as he wants the money from the gunsmithing service, but hasn't a clue about what can be worked on or what should be worked on or done. I would not expect to graduate from one of these schools and immediately start specializing in strictly building custom rifles. You will have to "prove yourself" to your local, potential clientele. Mostly by providing sound and safe repairs. The 'custom' work will come around after you do that. The 'overhead' for a 'smithing shop is extra large! I rarely buy a reamer unless I have a job requiring it. And even then, there are times I will have the client buy the reamer if it for some cartridge I think I may only use once. You just can't afford to 'eat' $160 worth of tooling for 1 job unless you can charge for it. That is what a machine shop does for a 'special tool' required to do a 'special job', they charge for it! Besides the 'business end' possibly being difficult, you will get to 'deal' with know-it-all' customers whos total knowledge comes from the interdnet and/or from the "old gunsmith down the road". Take your hobby and turn it into your job and it becomes work, just as any other 'job'. These days, I 'pick and choose' the gunsmith work I will do and rely on the "job shop"/machine shop to make my living. A full 1/4 of those who you meet will "wanna be a gunsmith, too". I would not be looking for what school is "best'" until a yr or 2 before enrolling as the programs tend to change over time. MCC, where I went, no longer teaches stock making by hand, from a blank,,,,, just to name one major change in curriculum that comes to mind. Another that comes to mind is the addition of some basic CNC instruction. Choose the one that teaches some of your main interests, besides the basics.

Last edited:
A lawyer friend once told me that Law School didn't teach him how to be a lawyer. It gave him the background and the tools that he needed to teach himself how to be a lawyer. Shortgrass' post above reminded me of this as it sounds like a similar experience.

Any of the established gunsmithing schools can teach you the basics, and that is what is taught, the basics! What you do with it after is up to you! A 'school' of any kind can not teach everything, but it should teach you how to learn!

Sorry for the long back story, if you want to just cut to the chase, skip to the bold paragraph.

So my wife finished up her Associates RN Degree (nursing), and we are now working towards getting her a BSN, we have about a year until that is done. During that time she will work at an acute care center, and god willing, in a year and a half to two years she will get accepted into a CRNA program and after roughly 3ish years of that, she will have her Doctorates Degree in Nurse Anesthesiology.

I am currently employed in Law Enforcement with a little over 5 years in. When my wife goes into her CRNA program, we are going to have to sell our house and move where ever her school is, and I am going to have to resign my full time job to be a full time stay at home dad with our 3 young kids (currently 6, 4, and 2-1/2 months), and live modestly off of a student loan and part time work, as the CRNA programs are very intensive, and she would not be able to work and go to school, will constantly be on call, and we could not afford constant daycare for the 3 years. We were barely able to get by for the 3 years while she was full time schooling for her ASN with only my income, I don't know if we could do it with a much more intensive schooling.

It is going to be a very long road, but we will get there. When we do, we will move back to Wyoming, and our financial situation will be very comfortable compared to what we have grown accustomed to. She is extremely grateful that I am willing to make such a huge sacrifice for our family so that she can achieve this, and she asked me if I could do anything, regardless of income or cost to achieve it, what would I want to do. Well, that was an easy choice. I would like to work on and build custom firearms. My wife told me to start looking into how to achieve that, so that after her schooling, I can go to a trade school to learn smithing. So here I am, one of the best resources I know of to talk to some of the best gunsmiths in the world. It seems that one day, my dream may become a reality.

I have a fair bit of knowledge with woodworking, fitting, bedding jobs, load development, fine tuning rifles for accuracy, some light fabrication, and I am pretty good with my hands and pay attention to detail, but I am a far cry from anything resembling a gunsmith. Also, I have exactly zero knowledge on running a metal lathe or mill. I need a great trade school to look in to, so that I can get the hands on experience I would need to get on my feet after I graduate as a professional gunsmith. I would like to hear from people that have attended and graduated gun smithing schools, to hear the pros and cons of the school/schools you attended, so that I know a few good options to look in to. I would prefer ones in the western states, so that it would minimize the amount of time/distance from my home state of Wyoming. Any first hand insight will be greatly appreciated.

A big reason we are going to all this trouble is to prove something to our children. My wife and I both come from modest backgrounds, as do our parents, and I appreciate that every day of my life, our families have survived solely by hard work. But with all the laziness, self entitlement, and arrogance that floats around in today's society everywhere you look, we want to show our children first hand, that no matter what obstacles stand in your way you can achieve anything through hard work, sacrifice, and determination. The long road of trials will look much shorter once we are at the end. I could go on more on this subject, but I have already turned a forum post into a novel.

Congrats on getting out of LE. I spent 30+ years in that business. Would not wish it on anyone. All the best wishes to you and your wife. Maybe someday she'll save a member of my family! Your family will be in my prayers.

Well I can tell you this CRNA program it's going to require a minimum of one year of intensive care unit cardiovascular intensive Care unit surgical intensive Care unit experience. Having been accepted to school and declined it is a fantastic experience and of course depending what she does a good income. Typically somewhere between 95 and 145000 a year. I looked at that as my very first option when I started school and after getting my bachelor's degree that was my goal and unfortunately slipped into the emergency room and never was able to find my way out. I would say that the program she is looking at for CRNA is going to require two and a half years with no work on the side. As far as support obviously many of the anesthesia groups what actually pay her debt off for her if she comes to work for them for a 5 years or more. The income is really good and typically starts at a hundred and five to about a hundred and thirty thousand a year. Not a bad income and definitely one that I was interested in and then fortunately it's a pay cut for my current position. It does offer great scheduling potential and the work is relatively easy but requires a little math. I would strongly recommend that she has more time before she applies. I cannot honestly expect her to be accepted into the CRNA program with a year's experience. The odds are definitely against her but not impossible. My acceptance was based on 8 years experience. And with so many people applying for that particular degree the competition is immense. If you have further questions or need details give me a PM.
Average salary in Wyoming for CRNA is significantly higher than that, and the average for the entire country is a little over $165,000 according to the last source -

https://www.beckershospitalreview.c...-50-states-montana-tops-the-list-at-243k.html

https://www1.salary.com/WY/Certified-Nurse-Anesthetist-CRNA-salary.html

https://crnasalary.com/wyoming/

https://www.registerednursing.org/nurse-anesthetist/salary/

But ya, Most of the schools prefer (but don't require) more than 1-2 years of RN experience, with the average being a total of 4-5 years, however if you spend that time at a level II trauma center it increases your odds of being accepted sooner, which is the places she is applying for. Also, it helps that her GPA so far is a 3.78, average for students accepted nationwide is 3.4 to 3.7 GPA. We will start applying as soon as she is eligible and continue until she is accepted, though it may take a while. That is awesome that some places will pay for the schooling for a 5 year contract, we will definitely look into that. Thank you for your information!!

Cody,

I would look at some CNC experience ahead of gunsmithing school because I think that is the future of that profession, well to make good money at it anyway. The business side is the variable for any self employed person. Being able to manage time and cash takes some talent. If your wife makes that much and you can roll as much as possible into the business it will help you learn what it takes to make a go of it and not being strapped drawing as much cash as possible to live will help. I don't think I would abandon the potential LE retirement for a career in gunsmithing. Do it as a side gig to learn your niche and then run with it after you have some form of LE retirement.

Cody,

I would look at some CNC experience ahead of gunsmithing school because I think that is the future of that profession, well to make good money at it anyway. The business side is the variable for any self employed person. Being able to manage time and cash takes some talent. If your wife makes that much and you can roll as much as possible into the business it will help you learn what it takes to make a go of it and not being strapped drawing as much cash as possible to live will help. I don't think I would abandon the potential LE retirement for a career in gunsmithing. Do it as a side gig to learn your niche and then run with it after you have some form of LE retirement.
Yup, that is exactly the plan. It likely will never be a major income, I enjoy working on guns and want it to stay that way, I don't want it to be a cause of stress wondering if I'm going to be able to pay the bills. That is what my career and retirement (and wife, ha ha) will do

Cody,
VERY wise career choice your wife has made ! Happy for you both. You are a good man. The future for your family will be bright... Plug through the tough days and keep your sights on the future.

Yup, that is exactly the plan. It likely will never be a major income, I enjoy working on guns and want it to stay that way, I don't want it to be a cause of stress wondering if I'm going to be able to pay the bills. That is what my career and retirement (and wife, ha ha) will do
Cody , take heed of Mr. IdahoCTD's advice , it is Sage advice . God Bless you and your family , we need more young men and women as you and your wife appear to be . F.K.

I went to SDI. It is a online firearms college. The school offers two programs: Advanced Gunsmithing Certificate and Associates of Science in firearms technology. Check out the website SDI.edu.

Cody,

My wife and I were in a similar situation so I'd like to suggest the route I took. While the road to a gunsmithing career is not a short one, the road to basic civilian firearms instruction (especially for LEOs and former Marines) is. While pursuing gunsmithing myself, in order to provide income along the way I, got certified as am NRA rifle and pistol instructor. They provide you access to advertise your classes in their training directory on their website and if you can find an inexpensive classroom to rent at or near a local range you can easily make 500 to 800 or more per class. Not to mention often times teaching these classes leads to requests for private instruction. Additionally Glock and S&W offer fairly short Armorers courses to LEOs which certify you to kick off your smithing career as an armorer, and provide warranty work for Glocks and S&Ws. You'll need to get an FFL 01 or 07, which you'd need as a gunsmith anyway, so you might as well knock it out now and have the added benefit of processing transfers for extra cash. Between teaching NRA classes, fixing/upgrading Glocks, and processing FFL transfers, I've been able to bring in significant extra cash on a highly flexible schedule. I don't know if these options are a fit for your personal situation, but it's something to consider that may help you along the way. Good luck brother!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.