Achieving a Dream - Best Gunsmith school to go to in the Western States

codyadams

Sorry for the long back story, if you want to just cut to the chase, skip to the bold paragraph.

So my wife finished up her Associates RN Degree (nursing), and we are now working towards getting her a BSN, we have about a year until that is done. During that time she will work at an acute care center, and god willing, in a year and a half to two years she will get accepted into a CRNA program and after roughly 3ish years of that, she will have her Doctorates Degree in Nurse Anesthesiology.

I am currently employed in Law Enforcement with a little over 5 years in. When my wife goes into her CRNA program, we are going to have to sell our house and move where ever her school is, and I am going to have to resign my full time job to be a full time stay at home dad with our 3 young kids (currently 6, 4, and 2-1/2 months), and live modestly off of a student loan and part time work, as the CRNA programs are very intensive, and she would not be able to work and go to school, will constantly be on call, and we could not afford constant daycare for the 3 years. We were barely able to get by for the 3 years while she was full time schooling for her ASN with only my income, I don't know if we could do it with a much more intensive schooling.

It is going to be a very long road, but we will get there. When we do, we will move back to Wyoming, and our financial situation will be very comfortable compared to what we have grown accustomed to. She is extremely grateful that I am willing to make such a huge sacrifice for our family so that she can achieve this, and she asked me if I could do anything, regardless of income or cost to achieve it, what would I want to do. Well, that was an easy choice. I would like to work on and build custom firearms. My wife told me to start looking into how to achieve that, so that after her schooling, I can go to a trade school to learn smithing. So here I am, one of the best resources I know of to talk to some of the best gunsmiths in the world. It seems that one day, my dream may become a reality.

I have a fair bit of knowledge with woodworking, fitting, bedding jobs, load development, fine tuning rifles for accuracy, some light fabrication, and I am pretty good with my hands and pay attention to detail, but I am a far cry from anything resembling a gunsmith. Also, I have exactly zero knowledge on running a metal lathe or mill. I need a great trade school to look in to, so that I can get the hands on experience I would need to get on my feet after I graduate as a professional gunsmith. I would like to hear from people that have attended and graduated gun smithing schools, to hear the pros and cons of the school/schools you attended, so that I know a few good options to look in to. I would prefer ones in the western states, so that it would minimize the amount of time/distance from my home state of Wyoming. Any first hand insight will be greatly appreciated.

A big reason we are going to all this trouble is to prove something to our children. My wife and I both come from modest backgrounds, as do our parents, and I appreciate that every day of my life, our families have survived solely by hard work. But with all the laziness, self entitlement, and arrogance that floats around in today's society everywhere you look, we want to show our children first hand, that no matter what obstacles stand in your way you can achieve anything through hard work, sacrifice, and determination. The long road of trials will look much shorter once we are at the end. I could go on more on this subject, but I have already turned a forum post into a novel.

Thanks to everyone for any help. God bless and take care.

Trinidad State Junior College has a highly regarded program. Located in southern Colorado

Colorado School of Trades located near Denver

Good luck getting the next few steps behind you guys. It's tough. I basically didn't have a life when I was going to college and working. In hindsight it was worth it.

Last edited:
I am currently employed in Law Enforcement with a little over 5 years in.

Work as much "Off Duty" as you possibly can and then work just a little more until your wife goes to her CRNA program. The cushion will definitely help.
Congrats on getting OUT of Law Enforcement and doing something A LOT more rewarding, satisfying and safe. Best of wishes and luck to you, bro!

Congrats on getting OUT of Law Enforcement and doing something A LOT more rewarding, satisfying and safe. Best of wishes and luck to you, bro!

It's likely that I will get back into LE after all is said and done, so I'm not quite out of the woods yet ha ha!! Both my parents were Law Enforcement as well. Father retired with a total of 28 years, and my mother is still going with 20. I will only need 13 or 14 more years and I can retire with 55% of my last 5 years wage, but even if I pick LE up again 7 years from now, I will only be 49 or 50 years old when I will have a total of 20 years in, so I can retire from LE and go to full time gunsmithing and building. I just have to maintain some post hours to keep my certification.

Hopefully by then, from the trade school education and 13 or so years of part time hands on experience, I will have the knowledge and ability to build some fantastic rifles, and then work on the business part of it. I think it will also help that I won't be financially dependant upon income from my gunsmithing business, thus giving me some wiggle room to figure out how to do the more challenging side of professional gunsmithing (not to take away from the challenging and artistic labor that goes into smithing), the business side. Thanks for the heads up B&G and Harperc

My gunsmith I go to went to the one in Southern Colorado, I will make sure and ask him about it as well. Thank you ShtrRdy.

Sorry for the long back story, if you want to just cut to the chase, skip to the bold paragraph.

So my wife finished up her Associates RN Degree (nursing), and we are now working towards getting her a BSN, we have about a year until that is done. During that time she will work at an acute care center, and god willing, in a year and a half to two years she will get accepted into a CRNA program and after roughly 3ish years of that, she will have her Doctorates Degree in Nurse Anesthesiology.

I am currently employed in Law Enforcement with a little over 5 years in. When my wife goes into her CRNA program, we are going to have to sell our house and move where ever her school is, and I am going to have to resign my full time job to be a full time stay at home dad with our 3 young kids (currently 6, 4, and 2-1/2 months), and live modestly off of a student loan and part time work, as the CRNA programs are very intensive, and she would not be able to work and go to school, will constantly be on call, and we could not afford constant daycare for the 3 years. We were barely able to get by for the 3 years while she was full time schooling for her ASN with only my income, I don't know if we could do it with a much more intensive schooling.

It is going to be a very long road, but we will get there. When we do, we will move back to Wyoming, and our financial situation will be very comfortable compared to what we have grown accustomed to. She is extremely grateful that I am willing to make such a huge sacrifice for our family so that she can achieve this, and she asked me if I could do anything, regardless of income or cost to achieve it, what would I want to do. Well, that was an easy choice. I would like to work on and build custom firearms. My wife told me to start looking into how to achieve that, so that after her schooling, I can go to a trade school to learn smithing. So here I am, one of the best resources I know of to talk to some of the best gunsmiths in the world. It seems that one day, my dream may become a reality.

I have a fair bit of knowledge with woodworking, fitting, bedding jobs, load development, fine tuning rifles for accuracy, some light fabrication, and I am pretty good with my hands and pay attention to detail, but I am a far cry from anything resembling a gunsmith. Also, I have exactly zero knowledge on running a metal lathe or mill. I need a great trade school to look in to, so that I can get the hands on experience I would need to get on my feet after I graduate as a professional gunsmith. I would like to hear from people that have attended and graduated gun smithing schools, to hear the pros and cons of the school/schools you attended, so that I know a few good options to look in to. I would prefer ones in the western states, so that it would minimize the amount of time/distance from my home state of Wyoming. Any first hand insight will be greatly appreciated.

A big reason we are going to all this trouble is to prove something to our children. My wife and I both come from modest backgrounds, as do our parents, and I appreciate that every day of my life, our families have survived solely by hard work. But with all the laziness, self entitlement, and arrogance that floats around in today's society everywhere you look, we want to show our children first hand, that no matter what obstacles stand in your way you can achieve anything through hard work, sacrifice, and determination. The long road of trials will look much shorter once we are at the end. I could go on more on this subject, but I have already turned a forum post into a novel.

I would just like to wish you luck on your journey. My wife and I finish up a similar journey in October and its been a long road. We have added two kids and gone through cancer but we made it...almost. I applaud you teaching your children not to be spoiled brats like so many now days. While I cant help you on the gunsmith side, I can on the nursing side. So if you have any questions shoot me a PM.

Cody. I'm glad to hear of the goals you and your wife have! As a Surgical Oncologist/General surgeon for more than 30 years I've had the pleasure to see many nurses become CRNAs and NPs. Had the opportunity to train many of them and I'm excited that you are helping her achieve that goal. As a Wyoming resident who has spent much of my career in Colorado I can tell you the need for CRNAs in rural America is tremendous. As I reach the end of my career I have looked at going to gunsmith school also!
I know that seams crazy but I've always worked with my hands and my brother (an engineer who is now gone) we built a lot of guns together! I've spent most of my life in shooting sports and hunting so it is a natural road for me! Many in health care don't do well when they quit mostly for lack of direction! I don't want to follow that road. For me it's about having purpose! I sent you a PM!
Doc

Trinidad State Junior College has a highly regarded program. Located in southern Colorado

Colorado School of Trades located near Denver

Good luck getting the next few steps behind you guys. It's tough. I basically didn't have a life when I was going to college and working. In hindsight it was worth it.
Yep! My cousin just graduated from Colorado School of Trades, but he thinks Trinidad is better as they offer a more comprehensive program that includes CNC machining (you might want to check on that-- not 100% sure). I think Trinidad also adds more shotgun work.
Maybe you could do some gunsmith work for Law Enforcement, I hear they have a few guns ;).

What,state,are you in

Cody,
That's quite a challenge ahead of you.
I can tell by your determination , and your wife's that you will make it happen. Glad your end goal is to get back to Wy..
Sounds familiar .... I think the gunsmith idea is great. Working with your hands and building things is very rewarding and good for the soul. A sense of accomplishment that many don't get. I wish you well in your goal and God bless you and family.
I'll try to be your first customer ! I want to see your name and made in Wyoming on the rifle :)
Take care
Don

It's been said, but I'd like to reinforce the business aspects of running a shop. It is far more complicated than it appears to be looking in from the outside. Look for a business mentoring group in your current area and where you plan to settle once you're both done with school. The advice of successful people who've BT,DT in business can't always be bought, but can be huge to your success!

If you can, start taking community college classes now. Business classes, machinist classes, Welding classes - GTAW in particular, CAD/CAM classes, Engineering Materials class, they'll all help. Even classes that are interesting, but don't necessarily directly fit into your direction will be helpful. One of the classes that helped me a lot was an Intro to Art class. My degree is Engineering. That Art class got me to see beyond the orthogonal and showed me alternate ways to make and think about how to make things. Another such class was a "Survey of Marketing" (Intro to) class. Knowing how things are marketed has made me more rounded in my career.
Oh, and look into "Returning Student" programs and college study skills classes. Both can/will help immensely.

Look into Yavapai College Prescott, AZ. Beautiful place to live and close to anything medical in Phoenix. Check it out and best of luck to you!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.