ACD: Rail/Base or Scope Tube Mount, Which Is Better?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by KY Gun Geek, Dec 28, 2008.

1. KY Gun Geek

KY Gun Geek Well-Known Member

Been studying Anti-Cant Devices - lots of searches and reading here.

We've pretty well hashed out why they are useful, but there is an aspect that I don't see covered very well - do you find it best to have it mounted on the base/rail or attached to the scope?

It seems to me that base could be a little off from the crosshairs. What I'm talking about is that because of tolerances in the receiver, the bases themselves, the rings, etc, it would be reasonable that if the scope hairs were vertical, the rifle might have to be off vertical. This might then make the base off horizontal and therefore the level would be off.

Does this matter? do you guys have a preference? Why?

Thanks!

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I have tried both then went back to the rail mounted. The reason was I got use to just opening my left eye right before the shot to confirm level. With the tube mount I had to raise my head off the cheek piece. Didn't like that.

Jeff

3. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

Broz, you haven't had any troubles with the fixed rail types not being level? I've had 2 USO's on two different guns and both were off.

I went back to the ring style. I really like the Scoplevel flip up kind though they aren't made to be abused.

If I were going to do it all again I'd get one of Shawn's mounts.

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I remember Joe saying that he did some milling or something to correct my rail type. He did mention they need to be "dialed in " I have looked at the tall ones, but worried I would knock it off or bend it while in the hard case.

I can't honestly say that it is dead nuts perfect. Seems there is always variables. On my 1137 yard deer this year I was off right about 8" but had 7 mph full value wind too. On the 820 goat I was spot on and would have nailed a tennis ball.

Shawns top ring mount is so nice I may just try it. I do like the clean look it has. Plus it is bound to be almost indistructable. But is the tightening of the ring screws going to tip it one way or the other? Or am I missing something? It may not be enough to make a diff.

Jeff

5. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

:D:D..that's how you adjust it to make it level.

I have the ring style USO level with with a Badger ACI mount and there is no room to finger the side focus.

6. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

LOL, yeah I can see me now..:rolleyes: waring out the screws to split hairs. I hav a time with ring caps when tightening, the last bit always seems to move the scope..:D

7. Magnumdude

Magnumdude Well-Known Member

Same Broz as on the Weatherby site?