accurate inexpensive 308 bullets

land308

IM JUST GETTING INTO LONG RANGE SHOOTING AND IM LOOKING FOR INPUT ON CHEAP BULLETS TO RELOAD. I HAVE A REM 700 VS IN 308 WIN AND HAVE BEEN SHOOTING 165 GRAIN HORNANDY SST. I LIKE THE ACCURACY BUT I DONT LIKE THE PRICE(APROX 20$ PER 100). I TRIED REM CORELOKT 165 BUT THEY HAVENT HELD AS TIGHT OF GROUPS. I WOULD LIKE TO STAY IN THE 150-175 GRAIN RANGE. THIS BULLET WOULD BE USED FOR TARGETS AND YOTES OUT TO 1000. I WAS JSUT WONDERING WHAT BULLETS MANY OF YOU STARTED OUT SHOOTING ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANK JASON

$20 per 100 bullets is not a bad price at all for decient shooting bullets any less than that your gonna get poor performance generaly ,it just cost more to make more accurate bullets.
You could buy in bulk and save a little , the 168gr Sieera Match King may be a little cheaper than the SST but I doubt by more than a dollar or so.

Many shooters have reported excellent accuracy with Nosler "Factory Second" or "Blem" bullets. If you could find some blem Ballistic Tips they would certainly be worth a try.

If you can find someone that sells them in a 250 pack near you for a decent price, try the Nosler Custom Competition 168gr J4's. Around here they run about $38 for a 250 pack.

I shoot them out of same gun as you and they do pretty good. When I run out I will try the Sierra 175 Matchking, even though they are a little more expensive, just to see if they shoot better.

BTW, turn off the caps lock key - all caps makes it seem like you ARE YELLING.

You could give the PRVI Partisan 168gr HPBT's a try. They run about $0.11 to $0.13 a piece (depends on quantity) and shot at least as good as the 165gr SST's for me. However, they didn't shoot as well as the 168, 175, and 190 gr SMK's. They have a profile that seems to be more similar to Bergers than SMK's and do require a long OAL to be seated close to the lands. They are sold through Graf and Sons.

Missing is a very expensive past time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

155gr Amax work great for me. I also shoot alot of 165grSST at LR and they are superb. A bit strong for a yote at LR though. I would prefer the Amax beyond 300yds.

Look for sales and buy bulk.

Jerry

Some cheap 180 bullets that have a pretty high B.C. are those Speer hot core bullets. I have found in my 338 RUM the 200 Speer Hot Core bullets do 3260 FPS. So I got some 180's for my 300 also.

Thanks for all of the advise. I bagged 15 rock chucks this weekend and After seeing what the sst can do to rock chucks, I might just stay with them. Thanks

A few years ago my shooting buddy bought a box of IMI Samson 168grn match grade FMJs, if i remember correctly they were $18 for a 250 count box.
Performance was very good but he did not like the cannelure.

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.