Can hunting bullets be accurate?

Hired Gun

I have an '06; my first NRA Match Rifle that I shot years ago that shoots 180 gr. Sciroccos better than any match bullet ever made....including my own match bullets I made for many years...just for match shooting! Matter of fact....if I had been able to shoot these 180s years ago....I dare say that I'd have won many more matches than I did! Match bullets...by themselves don't mean squat UNLESS....the rifle is ultra accurate and "set up" for a particular bullet that experimentation has shown works best! There are no short cuts to success in this game; much work/sweat has to be done to find out what works...best! As an aside....I don't consider any of the lighter bullets or sub-calibers as ultra LR material! Matter of fact.....284 diameter is as low as I'd go on considering what would work best! Long and heavy bullets in the .30 and .338 calibers, in the final analysis has proved to be the ultimate in every day consistency at the ultimate ranges of 1500 yds. or better because these bullets are less susceptible to wind drift. Once long/heavy bullets are launched...there are two factors that work for these projectiles that aid in their performance bigtime aka inertia and momentum and once sent on their way....they just go, and go, and go some more!! Lighter bullets may start out faster but they "run out of wind" quickly whereas the heavier projectiles just keep on gettin it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GOOD LUCK!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.