Accuracy Problem

Rubber Ducky

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anybody might be able to help me? I have a Remington Sendero in .270Win and this year for some reason I can't get groups smaller than 6 inches at 100 yards. A friend who is ex-Army has suggested that I'm cleaning my rifle too much and that I should have a couple of "fouling" rounds through it before I sight it in. I did try that, but while I often get 2 rounds less than a 1/4 inch apart, the third (or sometimes second round) is often a flyer. Firing a fourth round does not seem to help matters. I'm using Winchester Accubonds at 140 gr. Still, I clean thoroughly after about 50 rounds.

I've had the trigger cleaned up and lightened, and while it does break nicely now, it hasn't improved things as far as accuracy goes.

Last year I was able to shoot groups that were around an inch. Not great, but acceptable for hunting. I also noticed that my accuracy was better with the Winchester Ballistic Silvertips (130 gr.) than it currently is with the Win Accubond ammo. I don't yet reload so it gets to be kind of expensive to shoot too much. I will start reloading eventually, as I do enjoy shooting and would like to do a lot more of it.

Any advice on where to start looking to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RD

Rubber Ducky,
If your gun is really shooting a 6" group ,check to see if your scope and action screws are tight. if they are then it could be a scope problem,does your scope say nc star,tasco,bushnell,sightron on the side ???? try a different scope of known quality.
UB
p.s. it is not from cleaning unless you have been using your ex-Army buddies stainless steel bore brush.

Thanks UncleB,

The scope I have is a Leupold Vari-X III, 4.5->14X40. I did check the scope and it appears to be tight, i.e. not loose to the touch or anything like that. To clean my rifle, I use a combination of Bronze brush, bronze cleaning jag and Kleen-Bore's No. 10 Copper Cutter. Before I panic completely, I'm going to have my friend (ex Canadian Army Sniper) shoot it and if he gets good groups with it then I'll know it's me.

My shooting setup for sighting in is a Harris bipod attached to the front stock, and a sandbag under the butt. This way it's really steady. I pull the rifle into my shoulder with my right hand, and my left hand is under the butt just ahead of the sandbag.

I know that I probably have to do a lot more shooting, since one can't expect to shoot well without much practice, but I wasn't expecting to shoot this badly.

Oh Well,
RD

getting a mid group flier like your getting has me thinking that either the action screws or the scope base screws or ring screws are loose as mentioned before , you probably won't be able to "feel" if they are loose so you need to take the time and check each one , just a couple thousands movement can hace a huge effect on the group.
. Next check to make sure that the barrel is still free floated , and also check your crown make sure its not boogered up. Now if all is well with the geometery of the gun check YOUR geometery with the gun
Poor shooting habits are a huge problem in my oppinion and are vastly over looked (ask any gun builder that offer and guarntee) alot of guys have shot for years even decades that doesn't meen their shooting with proper form
it could be as simple as your cheek weld on the stock if you touch the forend. For guys that only shoot when hnting season comes around you would be amazed at what changes with their shooting habits and form.

If all you ducks are in the row and everything with the gun is correct then it could be the barrel it might not like what your feeding it , try several other loads

If it still throws one out every group then what better reason to have it rebarrled !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.