Edge accuracy problems.

shooter981

I just got my new rifle back from the gunsmith. Its a Remington 700 chambered for 338 Edge with a 32" 1 in 10 twist McGowan barrel, Defensive Edge brake, adjusted factory trigger, Leupold Long Range Scope with a 40 MOA Nightforce rail, Warne scope rings. It has a Bell and Carlson Varminter stock that the entire length of the action has been bed, other than the magazine hole, with Brownells Steel Bed. The barrel has not been bed, just free floated. The barrel has a 1.25" shank thats 5" long to a straight taper to .810". I've only tried one load so far but the accuracy seems way off. The load I'm using is the one favored by Shawn Carlock. I believe its 94 gr. H1000 on a CCI 250 primer pushing a Sierra 300 SMK. The rifle will not shoot under 4" at 100 yards and it seems, for the most part that I'm getting horizontal stringing of the shots. I'm pretty much set on the 300 SMK's, but I'm open to any other load suggestions and gun mods. I'm pulling my hair out here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't get to worried yet try some different seating depths and see what happens. Also double check your mounts, I have a 1913 303 that shot clovers at 100 m but started to string rounds horizontaly when I then found the rear mount was loose.

I thought the load that was always discussed as the starter load was 92gr H-1000? I've shot that load in 2 different Edge's and it shoots very well. I know that 94gr would definately lock up one of the Edge's and probably be very stiff in the other one.

Over pressure can cause vertical stringing, but as the previous posters mentioned, triple check the scope/mounts.

What velocity are you seeing? This should tell you a bunch about the load.

AJ

2812-2821 fps. No signs of pressure. Yes, 94 gr. H1000. I tried two different Leupold Long Range scopes. One with older Hart rings, the other with the Warne QD. Shot exactaly the same with each one. Tried two different seating depths, no change in accuracy. Checked the Nightforce 40 MOA base, it was tight with no visable problems. What is the main cause of horizontal stringing? Should I try bedding the first 5" of barrel?

When I string horizontally it is usually trigger control.anticipating the break or recoil.A range session with a 22 shooting 1 holers at 25 yds will help the technique if thats the problem.If you have never been to a bench match to watch you can pick up tips to help your bench shooting.eg the position of your thumb on the stock

I'm with AJ on this one. I think you should try 92gr and see what you get. 94gr was to hot in my EDGE,. Your chrono might be reading off. With a 32" barrel and 94gr, I would think you would be getting more velocity than 2812.
Have you reloaded fired cases, and are they still grouping @ 4" @100yds ?
Might not have gotten the necks straight when sizing up the first time. But, I would think it is something mechanical, as the EDGE is such an easy round to load for accuracy.

They were new cases. Started out as 300 RUM. I'm using 338 RUM dies threaded out of the press to the length of the 300 RUM. So I'm basically just neck sizing the brass. Would this effect accuracy? The loaded cases chamber with no problems. And trust me, its not me. I have a Savage F/TR 308 that I shoot one hole groups with and a Remington 700 in 30 Hart that I routinely kill ground hogs with at 800+ yards.

If you are shooting new brass you can easily have .008-.011 runout and it can cause accuracy problems. I would not expect 4 moa groups though. I have had a lot of problem with rings not fitting the bases properly. On a boomer like the Edge I would only set it up with rings and bases from the same company and it wouldnt hurt if they came in a box that had Seekins, Badger, NF, Uso etc. written on it. I have had a lot of problems with some of the mounting equipment you mentioned. Just curious did the smithy shoot the rifle prior to sending it out? If so how did it perform for him? Load some of the fired cases and see if that helps.

I just re-read your post, if you dont have the equipment to check run-out you should get someone to check your ammo. Shawn Carlock can fix you up with the right dies and methods. It is just a matter of expanding the necks with his tapered expander ball then running the case through the bushing resize die with a bushing that gives proper neck tension without re-expanding. Shawn sent me the Redding bushing die with a bushing that works great with Remington brass. Even with this set-up the new cases may have .006 run-out. If Im serious about accuracy I only use fired cases out of my chamber and run it through the size die without the expander. This method yields cases with less than .001 run-out. This may sound complicated but it really isnt. If you need some help with it shoot me a PM.

+1 for the 92 grn load. In most guns it shoots lights out !

I think something has got to be wrong mechanically too ! I think the velocity figure for your length of barrel looks slow too ? I shoot a 30 and its going harder than that with 2 grns less powder ? Something sure is wrong !

I'll watch with interest

Cheers

DUH

I thought the velocity was low, also. What would cause that? I dont believe its the rings or mounting system. Both of those scopes and rings came off other guns that shoot great. I need somewhere to start. Everyone thinks its something mechanical but no one has given any suggestions other than the scope/mount and I switched that with no change. I'll try the different load with fired brass this weekend and see what happens.

Use your once fired brass to load for this weekend, and take the center stem out of your sizing die when you resize it. See if that helps.
How far off the lands are you ?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.