50 BMG accuracy problems

co17

I recently bought a second hand Saxonia Big-valve 50 BMG rifle.
It came with a bunch of Igman 699gr. M33 ammo.
With this ammo the rifle shoots 6-8 MOA and even worse with some military ball of unknown brand.
I have ordered a reloading kit and match grade bullets but haven't received it yet.
The muzzle brake is tight and in-line with the barrel, the Picatinny rail is machined into the receiver and a Zeiss 6-24x56 is mounted into a 3-ring Optilock.
What's your opinion? Do I need to wory?

Ball bullets are not supposed to be accurate. They are made with a steel core that is off center in the jacket. These bullets are made to be fired in automatic rifles in battle. They do not want the bullets to hit the same spot every time. I would load some Amaxes with H50bmg in some good brass to really find out how good your gun shoots.

i would wounder about the scope too, is it a conquest?
if so i had 2 conquest brake on a 7mm rem mag i would not hold up to the recoil just a thoughtgun)

I know that ball bullets are not very accurate but 8 MOA??
I have ordered some Amax and some 800gr. drive-band bronze solids.
Both should be very accurate.
The scope is a Zeiss Victory and the most expensive of the Zeiss series.
I had that scope on a TRG-S 338LM earlier and the recoil felt a lot more punishing
on that rifle than on this 33 lbs. 50BMG.
I will try another scope though if my hand loads are as inaccurate.
BTW, the rifle has a Lothar Walther match grade barrel.

Re: 50 BMG accuracy problems - now solved

Forgot about this thread but I just want to let you know that I have solved the problem.

First I replaced the factory brake with one of my own. The new brake is symmetrical and a lot lighter. It weighs 1.8 lbs compared to the factory brake's massive 3.8 lbs.
This improved accuracy a lot.

Second I developed a load in IMI brass with 800 gr. match solids.

This combination now shoots 1.5" groups at 450 yds from prone with a bipod.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.