Accuracy Issues... Cant figure it out

Eric, some seat their reloads long and then seat to proper depth before shooting. some say not cleaning the inside of the necks or dry graphite lube necks before seating bullets. I have also seen this problem.

The heat causes my stainless barrel to shift quite a bit: I built the rifle in the cold of winter and it shot great at slow fire rates. Start to increase the fire rates and the poi goes to crap. I initially thought the barrel was finicky but I was wrong. The gas block had about a dollar bill thickness clearance from the fore end. Because the gas system is full length the barrel free floats quite a bit from the barrel nut. With summer heat and a elevated fire rate the barrel was dropping the gas block into the fore end at higher temps. I shaved the gas block to clear about three dollar bill thickness maybe a bit more. It now stays clear at higher temps and prevents contact. It was the damndest thing trying to understand why a cool barrel could have an issue, not knowing how much the barrel drops under temperature of use... Now if I can find the right mags that will prevent seating the projectile, I'd be gold.. AR wildcat problems...

People seem to be missing that you are having the same problem with two different calibres. 7 WSM can be a bitch. I used a fantastic one for about six years. The temperature will play a part of the issue, both due to pressure and barrel expansion and original zero. The same for the mag, not usually as sensitive.
Thing is once it's in your head it's there unless you're good at dealing with it. My advice is pull the heads. Start again and go through the loading process with all the rounds and then go back to the range new day and go through your routine. It's highly likely that this will sort the issue. If not then take the toys to a good smith. Good shooting

I had a similar mystery happen to a .270
Took quite a bit of investigation eliminating things. A chronograph exonerated a number of things. Turns out the Leupold scope had internal issues for whatever reason. Sent it back to Leupold, they decided they had to replace it rather than fix it. The rifle has shot like a charm ever since.

I brought a 300 Win mag and 7wsm, both very good custom guns which have always shot well to the range the other day. Neither would shoot accurately. I went home and cleaned them both very well. Went back to the range and no difference. The only thing I can think of is the heat is causing some sort of problem??? Handloaded ammunition . Any thoughts??? I need to figure this out .
Two things I would start with and several here have already mentioned mentioned temperature sensitive powder. I shoot H1000 in all of my magnum rifles for that reason. The second would be to check the torque on your action lugs. Depending on what type of stock (45 to 50 inch pounds for wood and 65+ on synthetic or aluminum block). There are a number of others issues obviously but I'd stat there. Just my two cents and Hope your able to get them dialed back in without too much effort.

I have seen problems in the past where the scope moved in the rings. Every thing seemed tight but the scope was slipping a few thousandth with every other shot or so. Replaced with Burring Signature rings & problem went away. Have fixed several rifles over the last three years with this same problem. Rifle seems to shoot just fine & then all at once it's off.

I have seen problems in the past where the scope moved in the rings. Every thing seemed tight but the scope was slipping a few thousandth with every other shot or so. Replaced with Burring Signature rings & problem went away. Have fixed several rifles over the last three years with this same problem. Rifle seems to shoot just fine & then all at once it's off.

One obvious test which has been inferred but not actually recommended...have one of your friends who you consider an accomplished shooter shoot both rifles and see how his results compare to yours...

A friend came to the range last fall with his 6.5 creedmoor in a Ruger PRS. Normally a .75" gun all day long. He was shooting handloads that he always fired. He began shooting at 100 yards and could not get on paper even though he had fired good groups with a 100 yard zero a few weeks previously. He became frustrated and I told him to move up to the 25 yard pistol backstop. pull the bolt, bore sight, and began to zero at 25 yards first. He dialed and dialed but he was shooting about 2" groups at 25 yards. I was working on another rifle at the time so didn't notice his frustration. Long story short. I first checked the scope mounts - yep the rings were loose. I torqued the rings and he re sighted at 25 then at 100 yards. Back to 3/4". Range Gremlins? I had a 30 Herritt T/C pistol years ago that shot 2" groups all day at 100 yards until the temperature rose above 80+ degrees. Yep - temperature sensitive powder as the loads were loaded pretty hot at 50 degrees. Back in the old days, humidity played a bigger part in the accuracy game with wood stocked rifles as they picked up moisture and expanded. I always have good days on the range but accuracy on any given day may vary. Hope you find your gremlin. After all isn't that part of the quest for that one holer.
Good shooting!

I had this happen the other day with my 6.5-284. It was about 91 degrees out and I had the ammo stored at about 73 degrees. Loaded with H4831sc.

I had the same thing happen in my 6.5x284...4831sc...3020 fps load...shot the same velocity but blew 3 out of 5 primers about 3 months later...Group size was fine, but I pulled all the remaining bullet and went with a different powder.

99.9% sure it's not a gun issue. I agree it could be hot ammo stored in the truck.

I got busy last week and forgot one of my rifles in the truck...at least in there for thirty minutes. I couldn't hold my hand on the barrel for very long. I work with my hands and not sensitive to holding hot parts in my hand. Here in the Houston area it gets hot in a vehicle very fast!

Then, you might have been having an off day...I have one nearly every trip to the range! LOL

Read an article a few years back where a fellow left his ammo in his truck as he drove around on his job. When he went to shoot the loads were over pressure. Seems the vibration of riding in his glove box caused the powder to rub against itself & produce some fine powder particles . When fired the fine powder burned much faster & caused higher pressures. Just a thought.

Read an article a few years back where a fellow left his ammo in his truck as he drove around on his job. When he went to shoot the loads were over pressure. Seems the vibration of riding in his glove box caused the powder to rub against itself & produce some fine powder particles . When fired the fine powder burned much faster & caused higher pressures. Just a thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.