Absolute Best Low Light Scope with Illuminated Dot (No Price Limit)

I'm looking for the absolute BEST low-light hunting scope with an illuminated dot in the reticle. I like somewhere in the 2-15 range with a 56mm objective.

I currently own a Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56 Reticle 60, which I LOVE! The only downsides to this scope is the tunnel vision effect and the field of view isn't that great. However, I'm still highly satisfied with it as I mostly care about the low-light gathering and fine illuminated dot.
With that being said, I just purchased a new 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action that I plan to use next season hunting within 100 yards in Mississippi out to 600 yards or so in Nebraska and Missouri. Looking for another scope for this rifle.

I'm currently eyeing the Zeiss Victory V8 2.8-20x56 Reticle 60. I've heard good things about Nightforce, the high-end Vortex, Swarovski, S&B, etc. But, I have no experience with any of them. Doing crazy research before dropping that kind of money.

Help a brother out by dropping a few recommendations and why you chose your pick!

Very impressed with my Trijicon Accupoint 56mm.

Also remain impressed with the Leupold 4.5-14 50mm. Even the 1" tube models are great in lowlight conditions; Plus, they are superb choice when weight is a concern. The mark4 has great illum control and side-focus at 20oz. "Great Glass" is always some heavyweight stuff. Really figure to be making Long Shots after dusk? Got your special blood tracing gear in your backpack?

While it's one thing to aspire to own the newest and bestest, hunting ain't sniping. Sniping isn't what it's evolved into either. Saw some BS about how the Army's new folding stock boltgun by Barrett will make the 7.62x51 (.308win) a 1200 to 1500yd performer. Really? That'd be news to the Palma shooters.

One thing to be aware of about European optic houses, Zeiss and the others do optic formulations to optimize contrast over the Japanese optics. More a philosophy of lens making thing carried over from photograpic and binocular lens making. Color balance is notably different. Gonna carry the extra 3lbs of a 34mm tubed, great-glass scope and pay $3k more for "The Best"?

At the end of the day, we're hunters, not hunters of gunmen. The weak link in every hunting designed rifle is the scope mount. An integral picatinny rail is one feature that differentiates hunting rifles from tactical purposed pieces. Another "end of the day" fact is that a riflescope is merely a sight. If hunting Leopard, a Leopold mark4 1.5-5x 30mm illum scope is a great choice. It ain't 56mm for light gathering, but within a hundred yards on an animal of cat size, it is beyond sufficient. Lugging a 14lb rifle in dense woods is a mistake in understanding basic purpose. Probably won't get you killed, but a heavy rifle with hugely oversized optic isn't a fast response piece of gear.
You should check the March scopes

I'm looking for the absolute BEST low-light hunting scope with an illuminated dot in the reticle. I like somewhere in the 2-15 range with a 56mm objective.

I currently own a Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56 Reticle 60, which I LOVE! The only downsides to this scope is the tunnel vision effect and the field of view isn't that great. However, I'm still highly satisfied with it as I mostly care about the low-light gathering and fine illuminated dot.
With that being said, I just purchased a new 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action that I plan to use next season hunting within 100 yards in Mississippi out to 600 yards or so in Nebraska and Missouri. Looking for another scope for this rifle.

I'm currently eyeing the Zeiss Victory V8 2.8-20x56 Reticle 60. I've heard good things about Nightforce, the high-end Vortex, Swarovski, S&B, etc. But, I have no experience with any of them. Doing crazy research before dropping that kind of money.

Help a brother out by dropping a few recommendations and why you chose your pick!
Its the Leupold VX5HD 3-15x56 - I had 3, still have one and regret selling the others. Best low light scope out there. It betters scopes in low light that are 2 and 3 times the price.

Last edited:

Steiner T5xi nice great glass SCR retical

Swarovski z8 is a awesome scope but a Milradian scope and not offered in moa. Sold mine but I own couple z5's the clarity is hands down the best I've found even better than My Leupold VX6 HD's. I have preordered the new Swaro Z5i should ship by April. It's going to have the same illumination that the Z8 has. That would be my pick.

Thanks to everyone for all the great info! Keep it coming.

However, I think I've made up my mind on what I'm going with. As I mentioned before , I know what the Zeiss Victory's are capable of. I want to step out to another brand and try out a scope that competes with the Zeiss Victory's in low-light conditions. And if I don't like the other brand, I'll sell it and stick with another Zeiss Victory HT or try out the Zeiss V8.

After all my research and getting everyone's input, I've decided to try out the S&B Polar T96.

Not going to rush buying it. Will try to wait for a nice used one to pop up.

Thanks all!

Leica Magnus. It's like turning the light on in the middle of night.

Superior optically. Tracks as it should. It's a highest line product in all aspects. Fit and finish, attention to detail in build. It is worthy of the fine reputation Swarovski has achieved over the years
I just picked up a Swarovski 1.7 x10 x42 With illumination Will see how it is soon

I've shot dozens of yotes in the middle of the night with my z5 and x5. Both are 5x25x56. This is good to about 200yards. If it cold and clear and a good moon can shoot to 300 to 350. It would be nice to have the illuminated but works good without. 10 this year already. I never use a spotlight. I have a decent yard light behind the house that is just right. I hear them new Zeiss are pretty sweet as well.

I use and have used for some years now a Schmidt and Bender PM11 3-12x50 with the illuminated P4 Fein reticle.
It sits on top of a Sako FinnLight. The glass is great, turrets are true so long as my data is, reticle is perfect for me.
Never regretted buying it, will never sell.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.