absolute best scope???

I keep reading about the Leupold Nightforce debate but I saw someone mention the IOR scopes in the previous page. The IOR 6-24x50 is a great scope with a similar reticle to the Nightforce R2 at a very reasonable price (around $1000). The lenses are around the same quality of most of the german manufacturers with up to 2000 yd potential.

Hmmm....Maybe I have been lucky, but, I haven't been in a possition to shoot a game animal while on my belly. There either wasn't enough time, or the brush or grass, or snow was just too high/deep. Never shot one off a table either, but am leaving both options open!

S1,

Well as I said, I was more than slightly curious. You are not the first one I've bumped into extolling the virtue of expensive Brand X scope vs ordinary Brand Y. I don't have the interest or desire to get that into the optical engineering specs to differentiate btwn the upper end models, nor do I have the contacts or budget to test 'which one works for me', as I always seem to lose my proverbial shorts when I trade off something. So I like to hear the 'why', preferably in somewhat simplified (but not quite the Joe 'Got a 30-30' Deerhunter 'simple') terms from people who either have the $$$, the time, or the contacts to test the various models, so when (maybe 'if') I get the money saved up for *one* really good scope, I won't be disappointed. We had heard you go around w/ DC about the NightForce vs Leupold issues here, and I was just curious as to where the U.S. Optics gear factored in, since I hear it bragged up a lot on another board.

Thanks again,

Monte

"That" I agree with S1 on concerning scopes. He has said what I have been saying for quite sometime now.

The scope that fits the persons wallet, field needs, and works the "best" optically for him or her, is the "best" scope for them.

Like Boyd said, there is NO "one" single Absulute Best scope for everyone. I agree.

DC

I did not see Horus mentioned one time. This is of great concern to me. I have one and love it. Have the new green model on order. You gentleman have a great deal more experience on this subject than I do. I would appreciate your opinion of the Horus.

I know that it took the top five places at the worlds sniper championship last year. It was also used to set the 2000 yard world record.

Please straighten me out before I pay for the second one.

Thanks for your experience, And suggestions.

You may want to give Premier Reticles a try. They deal exclusively with Leupold. They can boost scopes and do reticle changes.
www.premierreticles.com

I have a 20-48x-56 with a super fine crosshair and love it. Not enoough MOA travel for 1m yrds shooting though. Good luck, Sam

Boy, the way S1 and DC were going at it sounds like someone I know, but it's Burris vs. Leupolds, I agree there is no such thing as the "best scope", from what I've seen, FOR THE MONEY NOW, I believe the Burris Signatures offer "THE BEST SCOPE", I have 2ea 4-16s and 2ea 6-24, when I compare my scopes to a VarixIIILRT 8.5-25 on the same power mine are brighter and as far as clarity goes, to close to call. I can only shoot out 300yds on my range but a target of a 4" prairedog is as clear as a bell at that range, compared with a $1500+ Swarovski on the same power I could see no differance looking out to 800 yds, and my 6mm Rem is shooting .217-.322"(5 shots@100yds) so for my money, it's Burris Sigs. and since Burris has such a great customer service and warranty thats all the better if my scopes would happen to falter. Like Boyd said 'no such thing, J
grin.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

[ 03-17-2003: Message edited by: Jay Gorski ]

This has been such fun reading, I think I'm goin to LR Hunting and start a Absolute best bullet??? topic, then maybe to equipment to start an absolute best barrel thread too! 77 posts!! and goin strong!!

I read that the burris dose not have enough elevation for 1000yds.I'm looking for a new scope for my .308.

308, just e-mailed Burris, they said the 4-16 BD will have enough and more than likly the 6-24 BD would, if not, you could always put a .010" shim under your rear base, or try some Signature rings. I went the 4-16 Signature model with Ballistic mil-dot route, whereas if I want to shoot to 1k I'll zero my rifle @400yds and the point where the thick bottom reticle meets the thin reticle will be my 1000yd zero, what Burris said to do is zero your rifle at 1000yds or whatever you'll be shooting at with the lower point on the mil-dot. They'll be glad to help you out if need be.
wink.gif
Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.