Absolute best action for LRH?

ceg1963

What is the absolute best factory stock action for LRH use in a re-build project?

I have always made my custom rifles up on the M700. I have been led to believe, and honestly have had no problems with them at the bench, in combat, and in the hunting fields to date.

For some reason, of late, I have the itch to try a M70, or even a Ruger.

Can these be made up to shoot just as good as a M700?

I am looking for the experienece and opinions of the master gunsmiths, and expert LR hunters/shooters on this site.

Thanks

I would look in to the Surgeon Action about the same as rem. in weight and you dont have to have it accurized.

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason, of late, I have the itch to try a M70, or even a Ruger. Can these be made up to shoot just as good as a M700?

[/ QUOTE ]The Win. 70 sure can. It's stiffer than the Rem. 700's and feeds more reliably in rapid fire. Plus it's easier to rebarrel and change firing pin springs on. They've shot just as good as anything else; many times better. Too bad used ones may be all that's possible now that Winchester may not have new ones around; I don't know what they're gonna do now.

I'd stay away from the Rugers; they do not seem to work well for accurate rifles and don't have a good track record. Of course there will be exceptions.

[ QUOTE ]
I would look in to the Surgeon Action about the same as rem. in weight and you dont have to have it accurized.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

David Tubbs shot a M-70 action for years and won a lot of match's with it.

Check out Surgeon and also the new M-7000 from George Gardner. Both are being put into tactical platforms (the Surgeon is also being used as a single shot F-Class basis) but they would be doable for lighter hunting rifles - just a matter of time till they are available that way. They are basically Rem. M-700 done right.

[ QUOTE ]
David Tubbs shot a M-70 action for years and won a lot of match's with it.

[/ QUOTE ]He sure did. I talked with David many years ago when he was thinking about designing and making his own rifles; he said they shot more accurate than any other box magazine rifle action. He tested them and his other rifles from a machine rest to eliminate all human variables; really tiny groups way down there. His Dad, George, and Mid Tompkins taught him most everything he knows about accurate rifle making. He did well using his skills and knowledge gained from those two people. And Mid's used M70's for years winning matches and setting records in a close second place behind David.

If it is pure factory, go with the Model 70.

If you are talking after market custom actions, then this is your lucky year. You had the Stiller Predator ($650), Lawton 1.350 and 1.450" actions at $695, Borden actions ($700) and from there you can go up to the Rolls Royce of actions at the BAT ($1000-1300)

BH

Thanks all.

I will try building a sporter weight (#5 Barrel) in the M70 action. I will chamber it in the stock .338 Ultra Mag.

For my .338 Edge/338-300 variant, I will use a longer 30" barrel in a (5A contour) and maybe a custom action.

Any idea where to best buy the customs mentioned above? I know sinclair used to carry the BAT etc etc. I want a repeater and the carry capability.

v/r

The Stiller Predator and Bordens Timberline and Alpine actions are all of the Remington footprint.So your basically getting a trued custom with a little looser fit than a benchrest action which you wouldnt want in a carry rifle anyway.These actions are available direct from the manufacturers.I ordered a Timberline and an Alpine from Borden.Was kinda bummed when I saw on his web page that thier running about a month behind on delivery but I guess good things come to those who wait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts