About time!

BenY 2013

Here finally is my "budget build" been drug out way too long! I upgraded the stock with bondo, bedded it with JB weld. Krylon sponge paint job which I think turned out pretty well!

Current:
Stevens 200 .308
WOTAC 4-14x50
TPS TSR Low Rings
Weaver 20 moa rail
Caldwell Bipod

Future:
New Barrel and Muzzle Break. Any opinions of E.R. Shaw?
New bolt handle and fluted bolt.
New SSS trigger
New stock...choate or maybe step up to XLR or McCree chasis:D

Here she is!

IMG_4436.jpg

IMG_4437.jpg

IMG_4438.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. How's she shoot? Don't know much about E.R. Shaw, but SIN Arms sells Lothar Walther barrels at $275 a pop. They are already threaded to fit Savage/Stevens actions. I have a Lothar Barrel and it is amazingly accurate. I highly suggest going that route. They use a 550 SS vs. the 416 SS used in the US. It is stronger steel. Another option would be the Shilen's offered, but I don't think I will buy anything but Lothar. Mine is also a .308.

If you go choate, I would suggest the tactical stock, not the Ultimate Sniper. I use a B&C Medalist A2 w/ a Karsten cheek rest. It is an awesome set up. I have the Stockade lift kit, and 5/8" handle. You may want to look into a Stockade Stock. He has a 3 different levels of completion. You purchase the money saver and finish the stock yourself. Judging from what you did, I would go that route because I think your stock looks awesome. He has options that you can purchase such as adjustable cheek rests, length of pull, and adjustable butt plate. I'm definitely going to purchase one of his stocks next go round. My cousin has one of the varmint/tactical stocks. He bought the money saver. It required very little finishing work.

Pacific Tool & Gage make a nice fluted bolt for Savages. They are good people to deal with. I would suggest that route for your bolt. They also offer a bolt face lapping tool. I bought one. The workmanship is very good. I plan to tear down the rifle this winter and give it a good once over and lap the bolt face.

For a trigger I would look at the Rifle Basix trigger. They have good reviews for installation and adjustment. I've heard SSS triggers are good, but good luck getting a hold of them to place an order. Hope this covers everything.

Tank

Very good job, came out nice. I think Tank covered it well, the PTG bolt is the way to go as you can have it ground a little larger and fluted for the same money as getting a bolt cut. Stockade is the way to go, IMO or Stocky Stocks Hart laminate.
Keep it up!

Wow thank you for the great reply! I had only condsidered E.R. Shaw because they have a 20in barrel that is already pre-threaded for a muzzle break on midway for $140. But there is an older gentleman where I live with a lathe that I would trust to thread a new barrel. He does very nice work! Also on the stock If I go with Choate I would get the Tactical. I do not like the "ultimate sniper". I have looked into stockade and was curious about the "filling and primer" never done any of that, but would love to try it! Also trying to keep this as low budget as possible but may take more time and save up! Thanks

Skim coating the money saver will be very easy. There is very little work that is going to need to be done. If you have sand paper and time, it will turn out nice.

Tank

Thanks liltank I think my 1st upgrade will be a new barrel. But am seriously considering a Stockade Prairie Dog/Tactical money saver for a new stock! I really like this one!

Ok thank you! wish I had the funds to go ahead and order it and a new barrel, oh well this stock will work for now but will get the barrel very soon I hope!gun)

Wow thank you very much! I was really pleased at how the stock turned out! It was also very simple to do!

Also hoping to add a DIY adjustable cheek piece, just to make the stock more useable until I can afford the new stock!

Wow thank you very much! I was really pleased at how the stock turned out! It was also very simple to do!

Also hoping to add a DIY adjustable cheek piece, just to make the stock more useable until I can afford the new stock!

Get a Karsten. $68 delivered and you can install it your self. I have done a DIY cheek rest. It worked okay, but the Karsten is much nicer and adjustable.

Tank

Get a Karsten. $68 delivered and you can install it your self. I have done a DIY cheek rest. It worked okay, but the Karsten is much nicer and adjustable.

Tank

I would love to get one of these and may very well in the fututre...but I am 16 and hopefully going to buy my 1st truck very soon so I am sort of "strapped for cash"....limited to saving up and B-days or Christmas! But was planning on building one out of plexi-glass or kydex and have access to the tools to finish it very professionally (skill though not sure):rolleyes:. Thank you very much for your help as it is very much appreciated!

I'm sure you've found them but usually you can score some smallish pieces of Kydex from Ebay, warm it up and form it, you can find knobs and stainless steel bolts in the blue bins at the hardware store if you know what I'm talking about. Bet you could work it all out for 20 bucks or less!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.