A5 stock

If you decide to go with an A5 check with Joel Russo. He can do an A5L laminate version of the A5. I believe his turn around and prices are better than McMillan's.

Just something to look into.

I think most guys pic a stock on quality and personal wants in a design.

I can speak personally about HS. They are a fine stock indeed. I dont think an A5 could make my rifle any more accurate than it is. It just gets down to personal taste, ergonomics, likes and dislikes. Its like choosing a car, some drive one over another. It does not mean one is better ? Did that make sense ??

DUH

are there key advantages over the HS precision stock ?

does it perform $450.00 better ?

weight difference ?

thanks

The A5 has a totally different fit and feel to the HS , even the HS vertical grip type, which is closer in angles and dimensions to the A5 has a different feel. Either you like it or you don't, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground here.
Using literally hundreds of both brands every year, the overall quality of the McMillan product is higher, HS due to the manner in which they are made have been known to have air pockets just under the outer finish, which can and do become really apparent if the skin is broken. This is easy to fix, but not something I have encountered on the McMillan line.
HS uses an aluminum block , McMillan does not. In my experience BOTH need proper bedding so the aluminum is not a big advantage in my mind.
Is 1 better than the other? No each has points that are positive and negative.
I believe alot more depends on how rugged a rifle you require, if a true all out ruggedness is required, the A5 would win hands down due to structure. HS stocks are partially hollow, But for most uses this is not a big issue, I think more is whether you like the way 1 feels and fits you over the other. The A5s fully kitted out versus the HS fully kitted will weigh a little bit more as in about 6 to 8 ozs.
As someone pointed out Russo makes a laminated clone of the A5, which is very good, but if you are having to pay someone like me to finish the stock, by the time the dust all settles the cost will be greater than a fully finished A5 comes out of the box, as time is money.

Like mentioned above , your not realy compairing apples to apples , the A5 is a differant animal to hold , they are both built well , if you don't mind the regular HS stock then I say now its not worth the extra cost.
I personaly will never deal with McMillan anymore as their cuistomer service sucks , I'l try a Manners next if I need a rugged tactical style stock , I use Joell Russo's stock a bit and realy like they , the best part is being able to sand and fit the stock to your hand and boddy better than you can with an out of a mold stock. Their not hard to finish , anybody with half assed decient skills can do it , just a little bit of sanding , then finish then sand some more and finish and sand some more , leave it on the tail gait of the truck so the neighbors dog can chew on it and finish with a nice coat of truck bed linner !!! , if you like the black look anyway

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.