A small contribution to the shooting community

Thanks Eaglet. I see your spreadsheeet has expanded considerably. Some nifty stuff here. Now I need a GPS.

Thanks Eaglet, I'm going to check it out right now.

Last edited:
Field data collected... Ranging with GPS!!! Accurate???

Range Finder used: Swarovski LG
GPS used: GPSmap 60CSx
Map Datum: WGS 84
Application to Calculate Distances From two Points = Eaglet Ballistics Mobile Version.

We need to keep in mind the following when ranging with GPS:

1. The better the satellite reception the better results you will obtain.

2. Range finders give you slope distance, usually, Latitudes and Longitudes will calculate horizontal distances. Therefore, you want to shoot as
flat as possible or measure the vertical angle and after getting your calculated distance divide it by the cosine of the vertical angle. That'll
give you a sloped distance. I did it in the samples taken below.

3. Make sure your GPS has the WAAS setting enabled.

4. Wait to get your ± error in feet to get as small as it will possibly get.

5. The better the conditions for using your range finder, the better the results.

6. Heat waves will mess you up with your ranging equipment's accuracy.

7. Remember I was checking how accurate Eaglet Ballistics and the GPS given Latitude and Longitude would get to the measured distances.

8. I was not checking for GPS accuracy though you have to understand is important to use your GPS properly.

9. What ever else you may think of.

latlon.gif

Last edited:
To make it even more ineresting, I used two points for one of the setups and
desided to use Google Earth just to see I it would compare.

Here are the results.

Swarovski Ranged 1922 Yards.
Eaglet Ballistics Calculated 1924.7 yards, Difference of +2.7 yards
Google Earth Calculated 1918.88 yards, Difference of -3.12 yards

t06i3k.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sitting at home with a tweeked back so I thought I would play with Eaglets program today and low and behold here's a fresh post!

I went to my favorite elk area on Google Earth to check it out. This area has been frustrating me cause it is a 100% guarantee that there will be elk bedded first thing in the morning in one spot but you can not work in on them so I've been trying to get the spots laid out for making a shot across the canyon. The problem has been the trees, they are open enough to shoot though with a rifle but I have yet to get good ranges, till now.

I've marked spots for shooting from and shooting to during bow hunting so I have set and confirmed points that I can see on Google Earth, I punch the numbers into Eaglets tool and got a 753.53 yrd shot, outstanding!!! Just right for punching into Patagonia Ballistics and putting a 140 Berger in the boiler room of a bull.

A side note, while playing with Google earth you can use the measure tool and get a heading for the shot, did not know this but very good for Coriolis!!!

Thanks Eaglet!

lightbulb A SMALL CONTRIBUTION TO THE SHOOTING COMMUNITY lightbulb

I have created a small application that uses most of the equations found in
the book Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting by
Bryan Litz
I find it very useful and it sure is a great tool to get very close values for BC7, BC1
from measurements of a long range bullet. There are various equations that are
fun to use.

It's a very simple straight forward application that would be useful for some of the
long range shooting addicts. :)

It's only for the Windows Platform, unfortunately.

Download the zipped file named "readme.zip". When you unzip it there will be two
files, one is the ".exe" application and the other one is the readme.text file.

Please read the short readme.text file before you run it.

You don't have to install it; I recommend you drop the ".exe" file on your desk top
and your ready to go after checking the readme.text file.
Version 2.0.0.0 is out!!!! Link below was changed.
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jomoncada/Eaglet_Ballistics/eaglet_ballistics.zip

Those interested in receiving updates please e-mail me at [email protected]
In the Subject box write: Eaglet Ballistic Calcs

Those that received this as an e-mail will automatically receive the updates, but
if you are not interested just e-mail me and I will remove you from the mailing list.

As a man of honor and a minister I assure you your e-mails will only be used by others
if I get killed first!

Sincerely,

Javier O Moncada

I have windows but can't open the file for some reason??????

kz

You're welcome Bigngreen!

Kellyzier,

If you have windows vista or windows 7 it should run without any problems.

If you have windows xp then make sure you read the txt file included and go

to the links given there and install the two needed things mentioned there.

Let me know how it goes.

Tell me what windows you have. Remember the file is ziped. You need to unzip it first, by
right clicking on it windows will let you unzip it. place the executable file on your desk top
and just run it from there.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.