Shooting the .222

Bhjones45

I am new to this and have just bought a rem 722 in the .222 caliber. In reloading data, hornady calls for 24 grains of IMR 4895 for the 50grain v max bullet. I have tried loading this charge but seem to find that I cannot get that amount of powder in my cartridge. Is there some trick to placing this charge in the cartridge or should I forget it and go for a lesser charge? I like my rifle and it appears to a very accurate gun. Thanks for any help.

You will probably need to use a drop tube to get the powder to align more compactly. I try to use powders that fill well without trouble getting them to fit.

thanks. I am thinking of changing powders. the IMR 4198 or H4198 call for less powder and is a faster burning powder. The scale on the IMR4198 is 19.0 to 21.0 whereas the IMR4895 range is 23.3 to 25.5. Just don't see how they could get that much powder in that casing but I am just learning.

Bought some Hodgkins H4198. Loaded four rounds with 19.5 grains. Plenty of room in the cartridge. Went to the range and tried them out. All four rounds thru the bullseye at 100 yards. Could have covered them easily with a dime. Came straight home an loaded a whole box!

Bought some Hodgkins H4198. Loaded four rounds with 19.5 grains. Plenty of room in the cartridge. Went to the range and tried them out. All four rounds thru the bullseye at 100 yards. Could have covered them easily with a dime. Came straight home an loaded a whole box!
4198 and a 50 grain is about classic for that cartridge. I believe my Uncle shoots that load in his 222. The 222 is a good little round, too bad the 223 killed it off. Have a good one.

I am new to this and have just bought a rem 722 in the .222 caliber. In reloading data, hornady calls for 24 grains of IMR 4895 for the 50grain v max bullet. I have tried loading this charge but seem to find that I cannot get that amount of powder in my cartridge. Is there some trick to placing this charge in the cartridge or should I forget it and go for a lesser charge? I like my rifle and it appears to a very accurate gun. Thanks for any help.

try these powders:

BLC2
H322
H335
2015BR
gary

BLC2 gets my vote, but most of those are great. Great little round. I've had a least one for a long time. More than that on several occasions. Got one in a contender that shoots pretty good too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.