A ratty Red Stag

Steve7mm08

My long range capability is somewhat reduced at the moment, I sold the 7MM SAUM to help fund my .338 Edge project so in the meantime I have been hunting with a new acquisition- a 2nd hand Remington Mountain Rifle in 7MM08.

The rifle likes shooting the 120gn Tipped Barnes TSX, before this trip I had only done group testing and shot steel out to 400 yards to validate the data.

Late last week Chris and I headed away for a couple of nights after his job fell through for the rest of the week. We were a bit late getting away and only just arrived at a suitable campsite near dusk. I spotted a couple of stags a long way off but couldn't really tell what the antler was like.

Next morning we hunted along the ridge above the stags last known location and after a while I spotted them on a steepish face, we had to stalk out of sight on the other side of the ridge so we didn't spook them with the catabatic wind shift which was still moving quickly.

When we got back into sight the stags had disappeared and could not be seen after nearly an hour of solid glassing. I gave it a rest and ducked back over the other side of the ridge and spotted four deer which were hinds and yearlings, I left them in piece and headed back for another look for Mr Stag. After 10 minutes or so I spotted a rump disappearing into scrub so we ducked down to a suitable shooting rock and set up for the shot.

The distance was around the 312 yard mark with pretty much no wind, by now the sun was up and had canceled out the catabatic wind. I caught a few glimpses of the stag heading for the top of a slip.

Sure enough we was having a bit of a feed and presented a beaut side on target.

On the shot his back end collapsed and he rolled over landing on his back. The shot smacked him central shoulder blade and exited at the same height on the opposite side. In true Barnes fashion the bullet left considerable trauma and could not be located despite Chris hunting around for it.

P5280101Small.jpg

Chris passed up on another hind and yearling later that afternoon as we had enough to carry

Nice one Steve & Chris! Thanks for sharing. Looks like your packs would have had some good weight to them. How much weight would that animal bone out to?

Cheers,
Chris

Amazing how well the little 120gr bullets work on big game isn't it !!!!

I have killed 350 lb+ hogs but never anything as big as a stag, just deer.

Nice deer and a good post.

He may not have great antlers but I bet he will taste good.

I have dreamed of a red deer/stag hunt for a long time .(Some time soon maybe).

J E CUSTOM

thats some nice work.

what are your reasons for getting a 338 edge? its not like there is anything that big in NZ that needs the extra power.

Are you doing it for long range capability? better stick a nightforce ontop of it!

who is doing the gunsmithing? whats it going to be made up of? sorry about all the questions just real interested

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.