A Question to the Brotherhood (looking for a new rifle)

dougduey

Gentlemen,
I've been kicking around the idea of purchasing a new rifle, and I've settled on a 7mm caliber. The 7mm STW looks great from everything I see ballistically, but it's difficult to find a factory firearm in this caliber. Is the only true option a custom made rifle? I know I'm speaking to a biased crowd, but I'd love everyone's opinion on the STW compared to the Mag, Ultramag and Weatherby mag. I'm not planning on killing game out to the extreme limits of 1000 yards and beyond. I feel this would be a great speed goat caliber. I currently own 2 Sako 75 hunters chambered in 243 and 300 WSM and a Savage 110 30-06. I reload and take the time to work up sub moa loads for all my weapons in different powders, bullet types and weights.
I appreciate your time and opinions, so thanks!!

A few years ago I was hunting pronghorns with my son in west-central Wyoming. I had a .270 and it worked well the first day for scoring my doe at about 200 yards. After scoring the doe I found that the .270 had a trigger problem and I didn't consider it safe. I was without a rifle. The air was calm the next morning and as we scoured the area we came across a lone buck at about half a mile's distance. He was moving in our direction so we decided to watch and wait. My son offered me his Remington 700 in 7mm STW (a rifle I had never held previously) and I watched through the scope until the buck was under 700 yards. The range finder read 675 yards. I set the cross hair for the distance, squeezed the trigger and the buck went down. One shot, straight through the heart, 675 yards. IMO, that's an endorsement for the 7STW. :cool:
You will want to consider the fact that the 7STW is not kind to barrels. If you do a lot of shooting you'll be replacing barrels more often than you might with something like a .308 or 30-06. But, IMO, you'll still get a a thousand rounds out of it and I doubt you'll find anything more satisfying for LRH.
I would not buy a used one unless I knew who owned it and could trust the round count the current/previous owner claimed. Unless, of course, the price was good enough to make it worth installing a new barrel.

Attachments

• Dads Buck 3 Mod(1).jpg
    Dads Buck 3 Mod(1).jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 25
Fearnowind and Knotforsail,
Thanks for your responses. Now, where can I get a 7stw??? I can only find a Remington 700 SPS available in this caliber. I read some unflattering posts on that rifle but they were a few years old. Not sure if the quality has been improved or not. Or, is my only real option to have a custom made rifle?

Doug

I'm currently going threw the same deal other than I just bought a used rem 700 in 7mm mag for 400 bucks. I'm building a custom rifle off of it and I'm rechambering my new barrel to 7stw because of this forum. The caliber looks awesome and I'm extremely excited to pull the trigger. I was lucky enough to find a quality used rifle to build off of so that's one rout u can go. Or if u have a long action caliber rifle already u can order your new barrel and chamber it for 7stw. I do know Remington makes the sendero in 7stw also. But any rout u go I think u will be happy but I can say building my own rifle has been very gratifying and if ur mechanically inclined u can do it to.

If you want to go first class without the time and expense of a custom build look around gunbroker for a weatherby accumark 7mm STW.

Also watch Armslist.com for them.

Your alterntive is to just buy an action and stock and send it off to Krieger, Hart, or Benchmark. For around 800.00 they will square/true your action and install a barrel.

I bought a new SPS last month and after adding an HS stock and Timney trigger, it's shooting pretty consistent. I'm not getting smokin fast velocities, but with loading H1000 and Retumbo over book loads I'm happy.
I'm hooked on the STW and planning to rebarrel it after the season.

Thank you everyone for all the input and info. Has anyone installed a muzzle brake on this caliber?
I like to practice with my weapons and don't enjoy being punished by my rifle. I had a muscle brake installed on my 300 WSM and its a pleasure to shoot and kicks less than my 243,

Fearnowind and Knotforsail,
Thanks for your responses. Now, where can I get a 7stw??? I can only find a Remington 700 SPS available in this caliber. I read some unflattering posts on that rifle but they were a few years old. Not sure if the quality has been improved or not. Or, is my only real option to have a custom made rifle?
Doug

Some suggestions above on used guns. If you want a "pretty" gun that shoot well the Weatherby is a good choice. But, as I indicated lpreviously, I'd personally not buy a used rifle without a lot of serious investigation - including inspection by a gunsmith of confidence. When I say "pretty" gun I mean one that has a premium stock which, IMO, makes them more suitable to wall hanging that hunting. Paying for a preimum stock and dragging it around over hill and dale through brush and briers never has made much sense to me.
Theoretically you could build a 7STW on a trued Chrome-Moly Remington Action with a Berger 5R barrel on a McMillan stock and pop on a good quality rail and scope for about $2700 - depending on where you have any smith work done. If you shop carefully you might even be able to do it for lower cost.
It's always a matter of personal choice and caveat emptor ................... but that adds to the excitement.

Thank you everyone for all the input and info. Has anyone installed a muzzle brake on this caliber?
I like to practice with my weapons and don't enjoy being punished by my rifle. I had a muscle brake installed on my 300 WSM and its a pleasure to shoot and kicks less than my 243,
north west precision muzzle brake, slotted version. You'll love it.

87.00 on Ebay.

What rate of twist would you recommend in a 26"custom barrel.? Any barrel contour suggestions? I seriously looking at purchasing a stiller action and getting all the pieces for this caliber and have a gunsmith put it all together

What rate of twist would you recommend in a 26"custom barrel.? Any barrel contour suggestions? I seriously looking at purchasing a stiller action and getting all the pieces for this caliber and have a gunsmith put it all together
"I" would go to my safe and find the rifle in there most suitable for what I was going to use the STW for and duplicate it if I liked the gun. I don't think I would go lighter than a #3 on the contour, but that is just me, get what you like it won't matter for 2-3 shots. I would use a wyatts 3.825 mag box and have the barrel throated for either 180's or 190's. I've had three of them and have a 28 Nosler now, and don't like it as well. I sold my STW's when brass became completely non available, and it left a bad taste in my mouth about brass. I now buy enough to last the barrel or don't build the gun.