A Question about Nightforce Reticles

bigg_sexy1

I just have a few quick questions for all you guys that are using Nightforce scopes.

Do you ever find that the reticle is too fine? Or do yo loose the reticle in the brush or dark timber?

I have been looking to buy a Nightforce and when I when down to one of the local retailers the guy that I was talking to there pretty well was trying to talk me out of it, his biggest points against were the weight of a Nightforce, and that the reticles were so fine that they could easliy be lost against different backgrounds.

I have a Rem Sendero SF II 300 RUM that I will be putting the scope on, and hunt everything from coyotes to moose, and bear, in every type of terrain imaginable from prairie coulee to alpine mountain tops.

Also was wondering which magnification most guys preferd 3.5-15 or 5.5-22?

Any comments or ideas would be appriciated.

Thx

Check out the Np-1RR reticle, it is based more around hunting. Of course all of the reticles are illuminated so if you lost the reticle in something dark you can turn on the illumination and it may help you.

For hunting i prefer the 3.5-15, having a lower bottom end in the power range allows you to turn the scope down to have a brighter picture. their weight is a issue but it is a small price to pay for that dependable of a scope.

in our store there is a pic of that reticle. it is what i have in my hunting scopes

have a good un
steve

I use the 3.5x15 because, since the reticle is calibrated for the highest setting, I am able to spot my hits through the scope. I had no problem seeing my crosshairs last year shooting an elk in the trees at 520yds down in a canyon a little before sundown (without the illumination). I use the NP-R1 reticle on the 338AM and also on the 300WSM

AJ

They are all illuminated so losing the reticle won't be an issue. I'd say that the NPR1 was the one we sell the most of. With that said, I just put an NP1RR on my hunting rifle. We'll see how I like it this fall.

I'm going to go against the other two guys (including my buddy Lerch) and say go w/the 22x. If you get the 15x you will find yourself wanting more power @ some point and I don't think you'll ever wish you had 3.5 vs 5.5 on the bottom end.

Weight is an issue w/these scopes but I'd cut weight anywhere else I could besides the scope. If you buy one, that extra pound will soon seem well worth it!!

Me and Bill work together so you can imagine the daily debate between the 3.5-15 and 5.5-22

either one you will be more than happy with, i guarantee it!!

steve

I like the NPR-2 reticule the best. I find the NPR-1 can be a bit confusing when uesing it for hold overs if hurried such as when hunting. I find the NPR-2 to easier and quicker to know exactly how many MOA you are on.

For hunting I prefer the 3.5-15x50mm. The 22x can be nice on a cool day for the long shots but when it gets hot the mirage will kill your image. I had a 22x and sold it.

As for the reticles the NPR1 can be a little then to me and you can lose the reticle. I'm a shooter that prefers Mil retiles with Mil turrets. The MLR is thinker than the NPR1 and I have not lost the reticle yet.

Mike @ CSGW

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.