A new gun project

Maxbear

Hello, I have been doing some research on differant calibers, and thought that this place is where my questions would be answered. So here we go.
I am having a "longrangehunting" rifle built this spring. I had my mind all made up on useing the 340 weatherby caliber. I have read that the 338 remington ultra mag is a much better cartridge. I have also considered a 300 remington ultra mag or the 300 weatherby. I will be shooting factory ammo until I can get set up to reload again. I live and hunt whitetail in the grass plains. I have plans on a elk trip and also a couple of trips to Alaska for various other animals.
I need help from you guys. What in your experiance would you do as far as picking a caliber? I love to shoot and want to be happy with my choice.

338 EDGE would get my vote, but you need to reload for that caliber. Its a 300 RUM necked up to 338" with no other changes. In a 28-30" barrel, you'll get 2850-2950fps from the big 300g SMK. Thats about as good as it gets for a long range elk thumper in a packable/portable rifle. Good luck with your decision!!

i like the .300 rum because if for some reason that your ammo gets lost going through the airport or some other freak accident you can always go to the store and buy a box. they might not be as accurate or be setup for long range but at least you could still use your rifle. if you have some kind of wildcat caliber you cant do that and your hunting trip could turn into a real bad time.

Does anybody know what caliber rifles are used in the "Beyond Belief" Longrangehunting video?

John Barnes shoots a "big 7" in the Beyond Belief video. He explanes it's an "improved 7mm STW of his own design" and they shoot the 168 VLD Bergers out of it.
Bobby Beeman shoots a .300 WSM in a Win. 70 Coyote. I believe he shoots the 180 Berger out of his.

Not an expert on LRH, but I know a bit bout AK. Your first choice is hard to beat, a 340 Wby or 338 Rum which are about identical. Plus either one will get you by on an elk hunt. Keep it to 9-10#, if you want to shoot a 1000 yds buy a second rifle.

i'm pretty much with bear on this one. you want a long range deer gun that can also take big, possibly dangerous game in Alaska with factory ammo.not asking for much! i'd say get a 375RUM for Alaska and whatever floats your boat for long range. a 338RUM or 340 Weatherby would be the best compromise.

Thanks for all the Posts! How much weight would you suggest for a bolt action mauser rifle with a 26 inch barrel in 340 caliber?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.