A New England mountain man finds himself transplanted to the piney woods in Florida

kskgeos

I just joined this website after looking for reviews on the 6.5 x 284 Norma - looks like a great forum for long range discussions! I've hunted all over North & South America, but grew up and spent most of my life hunting the mountains of New England. Four years ago, my company transferred me to north Florida...in this economy, you've got to go where the job takes you.

Despite my lifelong derision of the Yankee snowbirds going to Florida in Winter, I find myself here and entranced with the vast hunting and fishing opportunities, limitless places to get lost in the woods, on the rivers, and out in the Gulf, and the amazing amount of fish and game here!

I just picked up a Savage model 116, left-hand, stainless rifle in 6.5 x 284 Norma; it was new, unfired, in the box. A fellow had bought it and returned it on trade for something else, so I got a good deal on it. For 45+ years, I've hunted with right-handed bolt guns, despite being a lefty; this was my chance to actually own a bolt gun with an action on the "correct" side (for me anyway)!

I don't know much about the cartridge, but I've heard it's popular in Scandinavia for their elk (moose). Looking to find out more from anyone with knowledge of it, and looking forward to enjoyable discussions on this new-to-me website.
Thanks,
Kent

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.